CAT scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

guest1

CAT scores

Post by guest1 »

Hi, my child sat CAT tests this term and is in year 5 at school. Does anyone know what my child should be aiming for to be in with a chance of passing 11plus in year 6? How are these tests used? I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you

Post by Guest »

Hi Geust1, I am by no means an expert(!) but I can give you my experience, my son scored 120, 90th Percentile in his CAT but failed his 11+!!
....However he did only fail by one point and we are appealing and am using the CAT test towards 'evidence'.
So whether its a good indicator for future 11+ results, I have no idea!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Sorry 'guest' not 'geust' ... typing error...honest!!!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest1

The following link explains the Cognitive Abilities Test....

http://www.nfer-nelson.co.uk/education/ ... 3/cat3.asp

Patricia
guest1

Post by guest1 »

thanks to guest and patricia, I followed link which explained CAT tests. To be honest I am still somewhat unsure as to how my child scored. I thought they should be close to 140 in each test to ensure pass next year. However, from what I understood from tables, my child would be classed as 5a and 5b, but really do not clearly understand how to interpret data. Does anyone else understand implications for CAT scores?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Oh dear, you have been sadly misinformed about a pass score close to 140 unless you are looking at a super selective West Kent grammar school. The 25th percentile is 112/113 usually taken as 115 to remove statistical error. This assumes the child has not been practising. Kent pass scores are higher for that reason; most applicants have at the very least familiarised themselves with the tests, many have been coached. So the pass mark for the 25th percentile goes up. This year 120,120, 115 saw 23% of Kent children assessed selective (which allows children to underperform in one test). Around another 2% were selected through headteacher appeals.
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Thank you Peter for info. I am, in fact, in position for child to apply for geographic reasons to grammar which this year had cut off of 410 to gain place. Hence, my reasons for questioning CAT scores in relation to possible performance next year. My child scored in the 130's for VR, 120's for maths and NVR, so I was trying to ascertain whether child is on target or should we reconsider our options. I do not want my child to face undue pressure, if CAT scores are predicting that my child is not close to achieving high pass mark required next year, unless those marks significantly improve, then we will reconsider our options.

I am still unclear as to how CAT's work because if a child scores around 120 now, should it be considered that the child is likely to score 120 in 11plus or do results generally improve within the next few months before the exam next year. Sorry to sound so dopey, but CAT scores were not explained to us at school.

Post by Guest »

Ok.. so now I am very confused...! I thought the CAT scores had no correlation to 11+ scores??? So is a 120 in a CAT the same as 120 in an 11+??? I didnt think it was??
I was told 120 in CAT was 90th percentile, which sounds high, but if its the same as an 11+ 120 then it isnt that high (although obviously a pass)

????
guest1

Post by guest1 »

yes guest, I am very confused too and have probably confused others! Just wanted to understand relevance of CAT scores when considering a child's potential for 11plus.

The school has not told us how scores relate to possible outcome for 11plus and whether scores child achieved are good enough to convince us to put child forward next year to sit exam. Our problem is that our child has to score very highly (at leat 410 out of 420) to get place in eligible grammar. I would be grateful for any advice which explains relevance of CAT scores to 11plus potential.

Many thanks again.
katel

Post by katel »

Remember that even if you are near the super selective there's nothing to stop you applying to other grammar schools which only (!) expect children to pass, rather than pass stratospherically!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now