CAT scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum

Post by mum »

Apologies if my question is a real stupid one! :oops:

What is this CAT exam. Who/which age of children are eligible for it? Does the school organise it or the parents? Can I have a bit more details on this CAT exam please.....
mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

CAT3 details on

http://shop.nfer-nelson.co.uk/icat/7916204main

Some schools buy into it to predict performance -
wondering

to guest1

Post by wondering »

Was intrigued to see that due to geographical reasons TOGS was your only grammar school option. Why wouldn't Weald of Kent, also in Tonbridge, be a possibility for you?

Post by Guest »

Wondering
I'm not the person you are asking so sorry to butt in.

Weald of Kent selects girls on the basis of where they live. They have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and I think, perhaps, 5th priority areas. If you don't live in any of them you have no real chance of a place and the chances are very slim even in the lower categories.

By contrast TGS selects on placing in the exam. If you get a high enough score you can get in from Mars. (Well anywhere in the UK anyway!)

We live in rural Kent and the Tonbridge grammar schools are the most easily accessible to us by public transport. TGS was therefore a good option for us but Weald of Kent was not as we are in about area 4 on their priority list (and the usual number taken from that area is 0). Anyone coming over the border from Surrey or most of East Sussex would not even be considered.
guest1

Post by guest1 »

Wondering, yes the previous guest has put it very well. We are not in Kent and TGS is the only realistic option we have, but we do have to get these high scores to get place. Weald of Kent wouldn't even consider us and when I originally asked them to send me a prospectus they were keen to tell me that I wasn't IN AREA.
bexley mum

Post by bexley mum »

My school doesn't do CATs and I've looked at the link on previous post which tells how much papers cost (v. expensive!). Is there a similar type of paper out there to give us an idea at how our daughter might fair in them?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now