Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Kent test: timings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:40 pm 

Hi all

Quick question re the Kent test moderators and whether they inform pupils about how much time they have left during the exam.

For example do they announce when halfway through, or when there is 5 minutes to go, or even 1 minute to go?

I ask as there may come a time almost at the end of an exam, e.g. last 30 seconds, when DCs may want to guess the last few questions to ensure they put something down..

Any thoughts or tips from those whose DCs have been through the exam would be welcomed :D

Thanks
Villagedad

Post subject: Re: Kent test: timings
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:43 am 

Hi Villagedad,

Hope you are well? Haven't seen you around lately.

I've just asked my DS whether they gave timings as to how long left and he said they did.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 am 

Hi ! Yes DS said that they were told 5minutes left ...x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:36 am 

I know it's still early, Villagedad .....but just bear in mind the timings for the non verbal paper. They work through that one in sections and are not allowed to go back to check over previous answers ...I think the timings are tight and many children don't finish the paper , my DS1 was upset about this but I've since found out it's fairly common and he still scored 140 .I shall be telling DS2 to guess if he looks like he is running out of time , just to make sure each question has an answer , imagine if you are lucky enough to guess them all correctly !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:13 am 

Scarlett - that would be a dream come true. Then we wouldn't have all this 11+ hassle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 pm 

scarlett wrote:
I know it's still early, Villagedad .....but just bear in mind the timings for the non verbal paper. They work through that one in sections and are not allowed to go back to check over previous answers ...I think the timings are tight and many children don't finish the paper , my DS1 was upset about this but I've since found out it's fairly common and he still scored 140 .I shall be telling DS2 to guess if he looks like he is running out of time , just to make sure each question has an answer , imagine if you are lucky enough to guess them all correctly !

Thanks Scarlett very useful

Do they also tell you towards the end of each section of the non verbal paper, when you've got say 1 minute left?

This would be helpful because you wouldn't want to be caught out putting guess answers down once they have announced the end of a section :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:46 pm 

tigger2 wrote:
Hi ! Yes DS said that they were told 5minutes left ...x

Many thanks tigger2

This would give DCs enough time to finish off some more questions, then any left start to put down guesses..

Has anyone noticed if moderators give you a further notice of less time than 5 minutes, e.g. 'half a minute to go' etc?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:26 pm 

Announcements regarding remaining time vary from centre to centre depending on the invigilator.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:45 pm 

DS1 tells me that for VR and Maths he was given a half time and then a 5 minute warning but for the NVR there was a timer / stopwatch on an interactive white board which they had to keep an eye on...12 questions in 6 minutes ? or something ...it was a bit like getting blood out of a stone . :roll:

How's your son getting on, VillageDad ?