West Kent boys grammars' intake September 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tonbridgemum

Re: WEST KENT BOYS GRAMMARS. intake September 2012

Post by tonbridgemum »

MarbleRun. '******' states that there were 32 upheld appeals in 2009, 28 in 2010 so wouldnt surprise me at all if there had been a similar amount last year at TWGSB :shock:
The info is on the ' individual school' section and an interesting read.
Incidently, when my son started there a few year ago, on the first day two boys on the register never turned up in his class! How bizarre is that! Interestingly, they werent replaced. stuck with 28 in the class.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Look at the page again!!
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

Marblerun, to answer your earlier question I asked Mr Fallon to support the Grammar School in Sevenoaks, to help with any temporary concessions for the children stuck in this dead end end, apart from spleen venting naturally regarding my own DC.
I totally agree regarding the "fighting this together" issue, why not all meet up or go to the KCC meeting on this issue on 29th March?

Pardon me for also posting this next piece here, as I did on another thread, largely regarding politicians and contacting them etc.

"Pheasantchick,Thanks for the kind comment.
However the problem is this, my, and most peoples little rants are preaching to the already converted.
We need to write to the Chronicle, MP's, Councillors, KCC etc and prepare cases for the people who have not made up their minds or who have no opinion as well as the ones who are hostile to our intent.

Of course Mr Fallon made a passing comment some time ago and hoped it would go away. Forgive me for saying this but MP's cant demand public enquiries over Mrs Jones cat being runover just because she wrote to him no matter how important it is to her, but if its an important issue such as yours was Doodles, then a steady stream of unrelenting pressure being debated from all directions is what would make them sit up and act. Michael Fallon has a foot in both the Christian camp and the Grammar Camp, and may need to be nudged to one side of the fence he is sitting on.

Lets all write to the Chronicle and KCC, in the next 24 hrs, it doesnt need to be long just accurate and fair, it doesnt matter if it gets into the weeks after Chroncle, as long as you and your friends do it. Yes you will be fobbed off with the unmoveable logistics and legailities or calmed down by being patronised by soothing noises. No it wont change things there and then but its another bit of pressure. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
It must be worth it for our children and of course subsequent children. Lets not forget it would also make the headteachers at excellent schools like Amherst, St Thomas etc feel that at last it isnt all in vain.
Personally I feel deeply angry, and see myself, rather sadly, at times like this as the Saxon in Kiplings poem.

"My son" said the Norman Baron, "I am dying and you will be heir
To all the broad acres in England that William gave me for my share; When we conquered the Saxon at Hastings, and a nice little handful it is. But before you go over to rule it I want you to understand this; "The Saxon is not like us Normans. His manners are not so polite. But he never means anything serious till he talks about justice and right. When he stands like an ox in the furrow with his sullen set eyes on your own, And grumbles, 'This isn't fair dealing', my son,.... leave the Saxon alone."

Best wishes people
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Peter wrote:Look at the page again!!
Welcome back, "*****" :wink:
crispin

Post by crispin »

Talking of the Sevenoaks Chronicle, in the coverage in this week's edition, they state that 61 children passed their 11 plus but were not offered a grammar school place. Does anyone know how this compares to last year? I know there is usually some who fail to receive a place each year, but do not ever recall it as being as high as this figure. This does not include the boys who were offered Oakwood Park Grammar, which wasn't on their lists.
Peter

Post by Peter »

crispin wrote:Talking of the Sevenoaks Chronicle, in the coverage in this week's edition, they state that 61 children passed their 11 plus but were not offered a grammar school place. Does anyone know how this compares to last year? I know there is usually some who fail to receive a place each year, but do not ever recall it as being as high as this figure. This does not include the boys who were offered Oakwood Park Grammar, which wasn't on their lists.

This is a misleading figure. The correct number is over 100 (I have forgotten the exact number, but it may have been 119) which includes those who put a non-selective school on their form below the grammar schools and were awarded this. The 61 refers to only those children who were awarded no school on their form. The figure is actually smaller than last year across the county, because of fewer problems in Sittingbourne (34 last year) and Herne Bay . You will find a full explanation if you search for Highsted *********
Redrobyn

Post by Redrobyn »

Thanks Peter, it always irritates when KCC repeat this misleading stat. Keep correcting them!
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

tonbridgemum wrote:MarbleRun. '******' states that there were 32 upheld appeals in 2009, 28 in 2010 so wouldnt surprise me at all if there had been a similar amount last year at TWGSB :shock:
The info is on the ' individual school' section and an interesting read.
Incidently, when my son started there a few year ago, on the first day two boys on the register never turned up in his class! How bizarre is that! Interestingly, they werent replaced. stuck with 28 in the class.
Tonbridgemum...I think it was 18 appeals that were upheld last Summer at TWGSB..would have to check my notes but I am quite sure that was it. They were all out of county.
Sharky

Post by Sharky »

Hi last year on the first day of term TWGSB were in the position to offer two places on the first day of term. Neither of theses had let the school know in advance they would not be attending. One went private and the other took up a place at a SS. A week or so later another boy was joint, not sure of the circumstances. Hope this helps
Blue Peter

Post by Blue Peter »

She said that in the 1 mile ring from the cut off point of 8.78 miles
So to clarify: some boys living 8.78 miles away were offered places at TWBG?