West Kent boys grammars' intake September 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crispin

Re: West Kent boys grammars' intake September 2012

Post by crispin »

HI
Good luck to everyone. When I started this thread last March (2012) our situation was quite a shock as the cut offs were SO different from the previous years. Hopefully for those concerned this year, our year was a one-off and everyone who is seeking a GS receives one next March.

I can give a little bit of an update on the Sept 2012 intake :

Some boys got in to TWGSB on the waiting list (inc us).

Others got in on appeal - fortunately the school agreed to take one extra class , but this was only agreed because the last time they took an extra class was in 2009 and therefore these extra boys (now Y10) move up to the KS4 area of the school, meaning that the net same number of boys are now in KS3.

Some went to Oakwood GS. This is an outstanding school but it is difficult transport wise from parts of Sevenoaks. The Chronicle recently featured some parents who had campaigned for a new bus to Tonbridge, so perhaps a campaign for a bus to Maidstone may be an option next year?.

I have been told that the Knole Academy grammar stream is up and running - this avoids transport problems, and is doing well, with fantastic facilities and more planned. However, it is disappointing to be offered a non-GS when a child has passed with a comfortable score, - my feeling was it doesn't seem much point in taking the test, as they could have gone straight there.
Redrobyn

Re: West Kent boys grammars' intake September 2012

Post by Redrobyn »

My DS was offered Knole last year in spite of comfortably passing 11+ and not listing Knole on the SCAF. Yes an everyday tale of Riverhead folk!
Last year Knole only guaranteed that Grammar Stream for two years and I also learnt that so few attended the Grammar Stream that had actually passed it seem a tad inaccurate term.
Clarify if its a permanent arrangement.
"She sets herself very low standards, which sadly, she constantly fails to meet"
"He has an eclectic collection of information at his disposal" ....i.e. He cheats by looking at others answers.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now