11+ and moving to kent

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yesno

11+ and moving to kent

Post by yesno »

hi we currently live in Richmond London and have to move to Kent for family reasons. I am a newbie to 11+ and whilst it is not essential our DD goes to a grammar we wanted to consider our options.

My DD is in Y5 and we want our DD to be at the same secondary school start to finish, for obvious reasons I would prefer not to disturb her Y6 where she is but at he same time we need to move, it just a case of when.
We will probably not be moved by deadline(s) but maybe exam time(s)

Please can you advise what our options are:

If we move after the application deadline? and register as ooa can we change our address once we move? Can we do this once we move or should we be delayed at the appeal stage?

Same question but if we move after the exam(s)?
Is there a cut off date to change our address such as the CAF results or appeal deadline?

Also we don't have a tutor - is diy ok or do I need to get one asap?
yoyo123

Re: 11+ and moving to kent

Post by yoyo123 »

I think you your best bet would be to contact the Local Authority or visit their website, whereabouts in Kent are you moving to?
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Hi, having moved DD1 to Kent during year 5 we were woefully ignorant about the selective system and DD was at a big disadvantage compared to her classmates who had all become familiar with the system.

My only advice is to make sure your child is really familiar with the layout and presentation of the Kent Test as it will make a huge difference to the way they cope on the day. We were terribly `blaise` about it all saying if she is clever enough to warrant a Grammar place she`ll pass whatever.......happily she is thriving at our local grammar but her life would have been so much easier if she`d been fully prepared on how it all works.. IYSWIM.

Good luck
yesno

Post by yesno »

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE ARE ONLY TWO REASONS FOR TAKING THE KENT TESTS AFTER THE DUE DATE:
1) YOUR CHILD IS ILL FOR ONE OR BOTH TESTS AND THIS IS CONFIRMED BY A DOCTOR'S LETTER;
2) YOU MOVE INTO KENT AFTER 1 JULY AND BEFORE 14 DECEMBER 2011.
OTHERWISE YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL MARCH AND SUBMIT AN APPLICATION TO INDIVIDUAL SCHOOLS THROUGH THE IN YEAR ADMISSION PROCESS WHO WILL ARRANGE TESTING (Contact KCC admissions to confirm process).
from the above looks like the options are
1. we could apply ooa by Jul, in area if we move before
2. apply within area if move after Jul and before 14 Dec 2012
or 3. apply to individual schools from March 2013

Do all 3 have a right of appeal? I know 1. does
Are there any negatives to any of these options? I know 1. ooa route is harder
Still don't know if we did 1 if we can change the address once we move so DD would be classed in area after we move but maybe thats in 2

So if anyone has any feedback on this that can help? but I feel better now knowing there are options and I will call KCC after easter so I am clear what options there are

following the good advice given I will make sure to prepare my DD for them just in case.
*If anyone knows a west london based tutor that is experienced with kent grammar schools system or a tutor that can help us online to do diy preparation
mystery

Post by mystery »

You need to read the Kent admissions booklet really, really carefully. Usually it says absolutely everything you need to know about the timings.

Whatever you do, you need to make sure that you are not an in-year admission. And you need to make sure you have read the admission policies really carefully for the schools you want as they are all different.

I'm pretty sure that this means that unless you are confident of a really, really high mark that will get you into one of the Kent superselectives for girls (e.g. Tonbridge Girls Grammar) you need to be living in the right area to give you a chance of getting into the school of your choice, by the CAF deadline (sometime in October isn't it?).

So this would mean disrupting year 6. It also means living very close to some of the schools if you want to be sure of being allocated a place on 1 March - this depends on the school, and the schools themsevles should be able to give you 1 March allocation distances for past years. Of course, after that there is movement through appeal and waiting lists.

Anyone can appeal for any school, whether or not they put it on their CAF in October.

If you don't want to disrupt year 6 then you could just take the Kent test on time, without moving house, and if you eventually do move to Kent take a chance with waiting lists and appeals.

Practice for the test - you need the GL Assessment papers in NVR, VR and maths - there are about three (?)practice papers in each subject - these show you the types of questions that could come up in the Kent test, then you need a way forward which will help your child to master these question types. I think people reckon that Bond assessment papers etc are good practice for Kent.

It's multi-choice in Kent, the written task only gets used if your child is a borderline fail and goes to a headteacher review.