Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

It's the telepathic thing working here, too? :wink:
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

most likely!

Post by Guest »

Just for info, I think 40 appealed to TWBGS and I understand from the appeals office that 19 got through.

Hope this helps

Cindy
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

and unfortunately, our friend didn't get through! However, he is warming up to the idea of his 2nd choice. I guess the School is full now but numbers may drop after any Skinners/Judd appeals. Interestingly Sats results come out on July 10th, so hopefully Judd won't want evidence of level 5's!
Man of Kent

Post by Man of Kent »

Anonymous wrote:Just for info, I think 40 appealed to TWBGS and I understand from the appeals office that 19 got through.

Hope this helps

Cindy
Wow, that must mean 33 pupils per class then (a PAN of 180 plus 19 appeals = 199 pupils spread across 6 forms). Real pressure on space!
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

It's possible that the PAN was not at 180. Some students may have had places come up on other waiting lists/appeals and quite possibly a few more with the forthcoming Judd appeals. I'm sure it will sort itself out. If anyone leaves, the school have said they will not allow any replacements, unless the number drops below 30. Hopefully next year it will be better organised. The decision to cut down to 6 forms was made very recently and too late for this year's intake.
Man of Kent

Post by Man of Kent »

You may be right, but I would have thought that the PAN would be 180, because the school should be backfilling any spaces from their waiting list that freed up as and when boys won appeals elsewhere etc.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

You may be well right. However, do schools have to legally backfill spaces from their waiting list, bearing in mind the unpredictable numbers that may be admitted through forthcoming appeals - particularly based on past experience. I can't understand the intelligence of an appeal panel, to admit 19 appeals, when they are well aware that the school is full. I am all for the school downsizing to 6 forms as it needs to, but I can only feel sympathy for the School to have had no control over the decisions of the appeal panel. They turned down our friend on the basis that the school was already full. It's madness!
Man of Kent

Post by Man of Kent »

Totally agree.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I wonder how MGS are going to cope for September. I gather that they have had a larger number of appeals granted, with the same PAN and the same number of forms. It's no wonder they are going down the Foundation route. I can't understand why TWBG don't do the same and take control of their admission numbers.