Percentage/correct answers to reach pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
raymae

Percentage/correct answers to reach pass mark

Post by raymae »

Ive been looking at the rough guide on this site for percentage needed for a pass, and the amount of correct answers required to reach that. It seems to be Just over half of the total of questions given in order to get a 120 pass, and just over a third for a 140 pass. Is this correct? Or am i reading it wrong? First exams tomorrow, getting nervous now eek!
GPmum

Re: Percentage/correct answers to reach pass mark

Post by GPmum »

Hello raymae,

This is the first time we have gone through the 11+ so I may be wrong, but your figures look about right to me. I think that about 50% will secure a pass, but of course this will vary year-on-year with the children sitting the exam. For 140, I think you need to be looking at 75% or above, but again, this will vary.

Good luck :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I always thought it would be a doddle to pass...48 % Pah ! no problem ! but adding to the mix ,nerves which leads to over complicating things or misreading the question...plus not finishing the paper ..then I'm not sure. :(

Someone cheer me up .....
mystery

Post by mystery »

Remember the performance enhancement that being under exam conditions will bring to the vast majority. At home it doesn't really matter how you score and children know that. They'll pull out their best performance on the day if they want to go to the grammar. OK a few do succumb badly to nerves, but then you've still got the headteacher's review and appeals offering some further chances. And then, there are some great non-grammars in Kent if you are lucky to qualify for one.

Please go and worry about my reading thread instead Scarlett. I'm just making my petrol bombs.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I know I'm panicking I can't help it ! Shall have a further think as to non drastic methods for you instead, Mystery !
WillowTheWisp

Post by WillowTheWisp »

I would say if your DC is confident and well prepared they should be fine. The problems in my opinion are with under preperation through no fault of their own, and by this I mean having no real clue about the 'process'. Oh, and then there is the DC being fed like a lamb to the slaughter believing they are GS 'material' only to be tripped up by a major event which is later considered 'not valid' by one appeal panel. So yes, there is always the appeal process but that isn't guaranteed even when you know your child should have passed....

Thankfully I am not all that bitter about the Kent Test, especially with a DS in the top set in Maths (the paper he failed) of his GS. A place finally awarded on appeal..... And there are very good alternatives, but not in all towns :shock:
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Raymae - without giving any details away, how did your DC find the exams???

All so glad it's over............... :D
raymae

Post by raymae »

Hi, So sorry for delayed reply. Ive not been on here for a while ... My Son feels he has done ok, Said he felt comfortable with the papers and feels he managed to answer all the questions. We are on tender hooks .... You just really cant tell until the day the results come in. He had been reaching pass marks at home on the practise papers, But the actual day "the real test" can really go either way :? Im wondering now, if the head actually has the results already :?: I know they get them before us in order to appeal if needed. For the past 2 weeks my son has had to take time off of school to visit secondary schools, including Grammars, I keep looking for signs from her, but she is giving nothing away if she does know. Not long now though ... getting more and more nervous :| x
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Welcome back Raymae!
The heads definitely know the results, and have done for a little while now! Like, you, we are getting really anxious about results day......how many sleeps is it??
I am not taking DD to look at schools again until after results now. Feeling pessimistic about a pass, so don't want to get hopes up all round just in case.
penguin

Post by penguin »

I'm going by myself to have a look around the medway girls' grammars open mornings this and next week. We've only had a look at one school so far (not in Medway) and I didn't really like the feel of it but my daughter thought it was great.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now