Passing 11+ after tutoring BUT will struggle at GS (esp SS?)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Passing 11+ after tutoring BUT will struggle at GS (esp

Post by mystery »

I find this whole thing about struggling at grammar school extremely puzzling. I struggle to understand it. They are doing the same GCSEs etc etc. Why would you get worse scores in GCSEs at a grammar school than somewhere else? It's illogical school-gate talk! If he passes, send him to grammar school if it's a good one, and if he doesn't, appeal!
GPmum

Post by GPmum »

Thanks mystery - totally agree with you, and if my DD is fortunate to pass this time around, she will certainly be going to GS :!: :!:
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Couldn't agree more Mystery...why would anyone want to prevent their child from being able to benefit from a grammar education? If dd passes ( and it is an outside chance) then I would do all possible to send her to the gs she really wants.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I guess the only other thing to consider is how your child will feel if they are no longer 'top of the school'. A friend's boy who had been in the top sets at primary passed the 11+ with gentle tutoring - however he is now in the bottom set for maths at gs. He isn't bothered by that and is obviously still doing really well and certainly holding his own. However her second dc is more sensitive and would perhaps find that difficult. I guess it's a case of finding the right school for each child.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I guess it's a case of finding the right school for each child.
Indeed! :)

Having previously heard appeals from parents wanting to move their children from a selective school to an oversubscribed non-selective, and listened carefully to what they (and their school) had to say, it seems to me there are clearly some children who lose confidence and motivation at the bottom end of a grammar school, and for whom a highly competitive atmosphere may not be right.

I wouldn't want to overstate this, though. I confess that I heard more appeals from parents wanting to move their children from a non-selective to a selective school on the basis that they were not being sufficiently stretched or challenged, were bored and not fulfilling their potential!

Isn't it a bit more complicated than the availability of GCSEs ...... ?

PS: I think VRQ = Verbal Reasoning Quotient!
Etienne
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, clearly if your child would fare better at the top of a non-selective than the bottom of a grammar school then this might be a consideration but ...... you don't really know until they get there whether that will be the case or not. Also, you can put it into perspective for your child - you're at the bottom of the top X% - don't worry about it, you'll still get great GCSEs if you work hard. Over time work tends to win over aptitude unless you're studying rocket science.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

you don't really know until they get there whether that will be the case or not.
You can never know for sure, but I think parents have to make a judgement about whether they think their child will have the necessary motivation - or might respond positively to the 'extra nudge' scarlett mentions.
Also, you can put it into perspective for your child - you're at the bottom of the top X% - don't worry about it, you'll still get great GCSEs if you work hard.
I'm perplexed, Mystery - I never realised a teenager could be so receptive to my pearls of wisdom! :lol:
Etienne
nubestreet

Post by nubestreet »

As White Knight's data suggests, almost all children who sit the Kent test are tutored. We all know that this is what people do these days. No one should feel that there's anything wrong with helping their child to pass the test. It's not as if the skills needed for this test are taught at school (in the state sector, at least). I'm a teacher myself and would consider the sitting of any kind of test or exam without preparation a bit naive, least of all one that has such an important outcome with no chance to retake. I get a bit irritated by people who frown upon tutoring or 'coaching' as it's sometimes called, as if achievement through practice rather than 'natural ability' is somehow cheating. It's called learning, for goodness sake. Those Olympic gold medalists didn't get to that level on talent alone. My elder DD is at GS and doing really well because she works hard, because it's a great environment to learn in and because it's supportive and stimulating. Children struggle at school for all sorts of reasons, most usually, in my experience, to do with things outside of school. So hold your nerve, DebP and ignore the naysayers!

Sorry for the rant, btw! Got carried away but stand by what I've said.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am not perplexed Etienne. These days, I am far more often completely mystified.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

:lol:

(private joke!)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now