Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:56 pm 

Hi

I understand WGSB take 10% on score then on distance. Does anyone know how far they have gone out in previous years?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:01 pm 

The school should be able to let you know previous distances.

I live near Chelsfield Station on The Highway in Orpington and we got offered a place in March on allocation day. My son is now in year 8. My understanding is that is was a similar distance last year as well.

Hope that helps :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:13 pm 

Thanks GTF :D Are you happy with the school so far?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:12 am 

My son is very happy there. He got an award at the end of year 7 for having the most merit points for his house.

Year 7 was quite intense but once we got into the swing of being organised and planning homework etc things got easier after the Christmas break.

The only downside I have is the cost of the coach :roll:, the fact that we live in Orpington after school activities are a pain.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:51 am 

For 2012 allocations I think the distance that Wilmington Boys went out to was smaller than in 2011.
On March 1st a friend didn't get a place for her son - they live 5.6 miles away. The son did later get a place so things do move around after March 1st and I couldn't be sure what the final distance was, though I am sure the school would tell you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 pm 

Thanks for the info. Will see how DS scores on Thursday/Friday then take it from there. The transport links aren't great from Bromley to WGBS so after school activities would be a bit of a nightmare - two buses I suspect. But worth a look nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 am 

My son started there this September. In March when the allocations came out, they only went out about 5.5 miles. There were a lot of appeals and the school eventually opened up an extra form; so I do believe the majority of people that wanted a place would have got one.

I think the distance issues were down to a large amount of passes in the local area. Our primary school had a massive pass rate (over 70%) whereas previously it has always been around 20%-30%.

Early days for DS but he has settled in so well and we are really happy with the school. Lots of communication as to their progress and they take a lot of time in making sure all the boys adapt well to the transition from primary school. Homework hasn't been too bad (so far) either - I think the projects set are more reasonable than have been previously (for anyone who has heard the horror stories about them!).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:07 pm 

Does wilmington Grammar have a minimum score ? x