DGS Dilemma

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Shevek

DGS Dilemma

Post by Shevek »

Before I go on, I do understand that we are so lucky to be in the position that we are in and that there are others here who would do anything to have our "little problem".

DS has passed Kent Test with a maximum 423 score and DGS is Plan A.

However, we live just outside the DGS Zone A, in New Barn, Longfield.

We have the opportunity to move into a house in Zone A, but this would be a lot of upheaval for DS and our younger DD

Does a 423 score guarantee a DGS place if we are outside Zone A?

As I understand it, DGS take the top 10% based on score, so for an intake of 150 that is 15 boys.

What happens if 16 boys with a 423 score apply to DGS?

I have no idea how likely that is, but I am aware of at least 2 others who have scored 423 (one in DS's class and one on this forum) so that has me worried that there will be high competition for the 15 places.
skip202

Re: DGS Dilemma

Post by skip202 »

Hi Shevek,
I totally agree with your comment about we are in a lucky position and wish everyone on this forum the best. It has helped me greatly in trying to gather information and help people if I can.
You must congrats your DS on a great achievement and in your position I would be confident that if I put DGS down as 1st choice you will get in.
We also live in your area and DS did really well with a score of 409 with nothing less than 136 but I do not believe this will not be good enough for us for Dartford. Our 1st choice has always been Gravesend but he also took the Medway test and there are some great Grammars there as well.
I have commented on the previous cut offs in "Dartford Grammar School" stream with last years being 413/414. I do not believe that DGS take a top 10% (that's Wilmington GS) and from Peter's website he mentions that a about half the boys come from OOC.
I think you will need to go to the Open Evening next week and speak to the admissions people to get a better feel for this year. I expect the cut off will rise again this year with all the competition coming from SE London.
Good luck.
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

Thanks Skip

I've read and re-read both the DGS criteria and Peter's page and I think I have got myself completely mixed up.

The way I now think I understand it is, the 10% is for WGSB not DGS and those high scoring OOC are in the 3rd group in the criteria.

I.E. Looked after boys and Zone A boys account for some, but not all, of the 150 places. So every looked after boy or Zone A boy with a pass gets a place - no cut off required. This leaves x places left for OOC boys who are placed by score, not distance. Hence the OOC get a cut off based on the 150th place taken.

I am going to call the admissions dept today to confirm.
skip202

Post by skip202 »

Hi,
I think you are right on both accounts WGS and DGS.
Just re-reading DGS admissions and it says "Within each section, places are ranked according to each applicant’s combined test scores in Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics." And then it goes on to say "Please note that in the case of tied scores, preference is given to the applicant living nearest to the school"
I still think you will have a very good chance with such a good score if you put it first on your application.
Good luck.
Shevek

Post by Shevek »

We will need to move anyway within the next 6 -12 months (very long story!) and we always planned to move into a Zone A area. I think we'll go ahead and move now, it saves any worry between now and March 1st!
skip202

Post by skip202 »

Ok good luck :-)
Blametheparents

Post by Blametheparents »

You will be fine from New Barn with a score of 423.
DS is in year 7 at DGS and loves it