Are there many Sevenoaks area Children at St Olaves?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
7OaksParent

Are there many Sevenoaks area Children at St Olaves?

Post by 7OaksParent »

So we now have the 11+ and St Olaves results and we need to choose between Judd and St Olaves.

The main concern I have with St Olaves is the locality of friends from school and the travel?

So are there many people on here who live in the Sevenoaks area and go to St Olaves?

Also what is the travel from Sevenoaks to St Olaves like in practice - is it train, bus and walk or has anyone organised other transport options?
Sevenoaks19

Re: Are there many Sevenoaks area Children at St Olaves?

Post by Sevenoaks19 »

I'm in Sevenoaks and I have a son at St Olave's and he is loving it! He travels in by train (9 minutes) and there are a group of them. There are also quite a few sixth formers - 9 girls from TOGS transferred to sixth form there this year from Sevenoaks area. About half of his class live in Orpington/Bromley which is easily accessible by train and about 20/30 minutes in the car - same as TW.
This year they have given an indication of having passed out before national offer day and I wonder if this may encourage small groups of boys who have passed to go together? The popularity of the school has really increased in the last few years; in the last HT's newsletter it said the number of applicants had increased from about 600 to 900 since 2007/8 and I know that the number of boys sitting the exam from Sevenoaks is getting larger each year. You will never get many going from one school as the competition is too great.
I also encourage him to keep his old school friends which I think is pretty normal in Sevenoaks; my daughter is at a grammar in Tonbridge and she has kept her old network of friends anyway as school friends are flung far and wide!
Mama H

Post by Mama H »

Hello,

Any ideas about doing the journey from Swanley. Would be really nice if there is a group of them from Swanley or Eynsford. Also what time are they expected to get there for in the morning.

Thanks
7OaksParent

Post by 7OaksParent »

Thanks for the reply Sevenoaks19. What time train do the children have to get to ensure that they get to St Olave's on time? (I don't even know what time the school day starts.)

My wife and I both commute into London but none of the trains we get to or from work stop at Orpington. A few of the trains stop at Chelsfield which may be another option.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now