Help & Advice Greatly Appreciated 11+ Scores/Illness

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Debby1967

Help & Advice Greatly Appreciated 11+ Scores/Illness

Post by Debby1967 »

I found out on the 17th that my daughter had missed out by a few points on the Kent test, she had scored 121, 116 and 117. Worse still out of 18 children to take the test only she didnt pass...

I really have no previous experience, no knowledge on this at all and have only been guided by her head teacher other parents etc.

The week before the Kent Test, which was the week of the Bexley Test my daughter complained of a sore throat and ear - went to the GP and was told had an ear infection and had antibiotics prescribed.

She wasnt ill enough to stay home and did the Bexley test first day - however, 2nd day said "felt really rough Mum in the middle of the second one" which as this was a "back up" I wasnt really concerned.

Her ear seemed to improve over the weekend, but two days before the Kent Test, she was in a lot of pain with her ear, head and again a sore throat - She went to school on the Monday ( I will explain why I sent her shortly!) and the school then sent her home that day. She went back to teh GP to be told it was a particuarly nasty ear infection, which was why she was in so much pain and upped the antibiotics.

She went back to school, but again they sent her home and suggested that she only came in for the test the next day then went home as she was in so much pain and uncomfortable. She did the first day's test, came out and said I was fine first bit then my head was really hurting so struggled - same pretty much for 2nd day, then off shcool rest of the week.

My daughter has suffered with ill health since Reception following bronchilitus as a baby, with asthma and tonsilitus. Without boring everyone with the details when she used to get tonsilitus she could be fine at 9am in the morning and admitted to hospital at 2pm with a raging temperature and on a drip - this went on for 3 years, so practically every 8 weeks would be off for 5 - 10 days. When she finally had them out in middle of year 4 she was greatly improved.

HOwever, she has missed a lot of school up untill then. Recognising how bright she was and from the results of her SATS, it was suggested that she was "grammar school material" Her SATS had improved from year 3 to 4 over 15points on each test and the head said "she should definately do the grammar tests.

She did the usual tutor route and spent lots of time with her books etc - but it has been difficault, I am a single parent, working full time, so finding the time to always work with her has been a struggle..

I was asked on day of kent test by the school secretary to get a letter from the GP, which I couldnt get but all I could get (with one hour's noticE!) was a print out, which I was told by the school had to go with her papers...

Post test results Ive since been told by Kent that these woudl have been disreguared and cannot unerstand why school suggested I got them!

I have spoken to the head and as I went in the room he said "she should be really proud of her results, as the medical sheet went across" almost dismissing me, to which I replied well Kent have told me thsee would have been disreguarded - then he almost immediately said oh right, I wasnt aware of that, we can appeal... He has said he will support my appealing, went on and on about how determined my duaghter is, her medical history, all the extra curricula activities she does etc etc, really really supportive...

What I really dont understand is the difference between a Headteacher recommendation (If he feels that she should have passed, why didnt he do this when had the opportunity? Did he think her results were with the medical stuff taken into consideration so thought she had failed with that included) and what Head teacher support is on an appeal?

I feel so strongly that my daughter should of passed - Im not stupid she was never going to pass excessively, but she was on a par, if not over par then many of the children taking it - It was never suggested to me not to let her sit the papers that day (ive found out since that I could have done so) and now people are saying that the head should have known that health papers wouldnt be considered and should then have looked at her results differently when had the opportunity to put in a head teacher recommdentation!

Help!! Im so disappointed for my daughter and at the same time dont want to put her throgh an appeal process to then be disappointed again - equally though if she was ill and would have passed if could have concentrated and gained a few more points in two of the tests, then I think she desrves same opporutnity as her peers to go to grammar school

Thank you so much for any advice/thoughts!
yoyo123

Re: Help & Advice Greatly Appreciated 11+ Scores/Illness

Post by yoyo123 »

Welcome to the forum.

Are you based in Kent or Bexley? In Kent there is the headteachers review system and headteachers can send evidence to back up their request for a grammar school place,this is before the results are given out. If that was unsuccessful , you can still appeal after schools have been allocated. Have a look at the appeals section. There is an excellent Q & A page which may answer some of your questions.
Debby1967

Re: Help & Advice Greatly Appreciated 11+ Scores/Illness

Post by Debby1967 »

yoyo123 wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Are you based in Kent or Bexley? In Kent there is the headteachers review system and headteachers can send evidence to back up their request for a grammar school place,this is before the results are given out. If that was unsuccessful , you can still appeal after schools have been allocated. Have a look at the appeals section. There is an excellent Q & A page which may answer some of your questions.

This is really where I'm confused because doesn't appear head did appeal to Kent, because he thought her results were taking into consideration her being ill etc? He seemed really shocked when I said it handy been. So wonder now if her would have recommended her if has known at the time and didn't because thought she was more then 3 points away on two sections with them taking into consideration her being oll
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now