Tunbridge Well Grammar Girl School catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doubletiger

Tunbridge Well Grammar Girl School catchment area

Post by doubletiger »

I live in Bromley, can my DD apply for Tunbridge Well Grammar Girl School? Or which Grammar School in Kent can my DD apply?

Thanks
Just1-2go

Re: Tunbridge Well Grammar Girl School catchment area

Post by Just1-2go »

You would struggle to get to TWGGs from Bromley as the catchment area is tight and I think preference for the governors places go to girls within a certain area as well - someone correct me if I'm wrong here. You could apply for one of the OOC places at TOGs, I think there are 28 of those.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

It depends on your score for Tonbridge Grammar. They would need to be extremely high for one of the out of area governors places (see website, Admissions, Main School, FAQ's).

As I understand it, Tunbridge Wells GGS has a very tight catchment of a mile or two and their governors places are for those that didn't get in on distance but have a high score and are still within the catchment area.

Weald of Kent Grammar is also distance based so your only option is TGS if score high enough, or Newstead which I guess you know already. I've seen a few other school names in other areas such as Bexley, dotted around in the past for Bromley people on the other area threads (if you haven't looked already).

I thought the number of governors places was 35 but this may have changed. See the Kent county council admissions documents for further reference on all the kent schools, if not on their websites.

Hope that helps.
Mama2

Post by Mama2 »

franticmum wrote: As I understand it, Tunbridge Wells GGS has a very tight catchment of a mile or two and their governors places are for those that didn't get in on distance but have a high score and are still within the catchment area.

Weald of Kent Grammar is also distance based so your only option is TGS if score high enough
Yes I would second that. I spoke to admissions manager at TWGGS and historically 1.8/1.9 miles is the catchment. Governors spaces to girls that live beyond the 1.8 miles but have to have scored highly.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I read the TWGSS admission policy recently. It didn't make much sense to me.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Yes, I understood it to be a small catchment - some years 1.6-7 miles. Then 14 governor places for those girls outside of the tiny radius but still within 'official ' catchment in kent.
Eg Langton green, Speldhurst, far side of Tunbrudge wells, Bidborough etc.

I think that last year they were all 420, bar two 418.

Sorry- that was all in relation to TWGGS.
I would have thought that TOGS is your best bet.
doubletiger

Post by doubletiger »

thank you all for info.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now