weald/newstead

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

orpington mum

weald/newstead

Post by orpington mum »

When you speak to the schools they give you no real help. What was newsted pass mark this year? And Weald. we are in orpington, and would move if needed to , but not sure its worth it. any one had exprience from here.
guest1717

newstead

Post by guest1717 »

I understand that they went down to 220 in the first round, eventually going down to at least 218 , my daughters friend was made an offer at the end of May she scored 218 . They did not get down to my daughter who scored 216.

I hope this helps.

weald/newstead

Post by Guest »

ENtry criteria for Weald is not on the pass mark, you just need to live close enough to the school. Catchment area is shrinking all the time, but I don't know what the boundary was this year - not as far as Orpinton though.

Post by Guest »

Look on the Weald school website for a list of their priority areas for admission.
orpington mum

Post by orpington mum »

thanks guys. Don't understand the weald bit - catchment/ pass mark - you still sit the 11 + so there must be some grade?

Post by Guest »

All children who sit the Kent test (11+) are either given a "selective assessment" (i.e. a pass) or are told that they are not suited to a grammar education (i.e. they fail). No grammar school can offer a place to a child without a selective assessment.

Most grammar schools, Weald included, only look at whether the child has such an assessment; they do not look at the actual mark in determining who gets a place. To gain a selective assessment this year you needed 120 in each of two papers and 115 in the third. The minimum aggregate score for a pass would therefore be 355 out of a maximum of 420 marks. By contrast, to get into the other girls' grammar in Tonbridge, (TGS) which selects on the basis of rank order in the exam, I understand that in-area girls needed an aggregate score of 410 or more. The mark for out-of-area candidates (which would include Orpington) was 403.
orpington mum

Post by orpington mum »

thank you, it is all becoming clearer now. not having an 11 plus here, has meant this is all like learning a new langauge.

any advice on where we can get in from orpington would be welcomed - i understand wilmington is an option - anyone know about any others? or more about wilmington?
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

Would you consider Bexley?

Once the pass mark has been decided, the majority of students are given places under the distance from school criteria, but the top 180 marks are awarded a guaranteed selectve place at their first choice school, so for these, distance to school is irrelevant and you can live anywhere in the country!
guest1717

Post by guest1717 »

My daughter got in to Wilmington this year as did 4 other girls at her school ( we live in Green Street Green, the Bromley one not the Dartford). As with the Weald you only need to pass the 11+ to be offered a place and distance is the main criteria.

This year they did not have enough girls pass the 11 + to reach their PAN in the first round and many girls were admitted on headteachers appeals.

A bonus with the Wilmington Schools is the option of a school coach service. So avoiding the train trip to Weald which put us off!
Tired Mum

Post by Tired Mum »

Hi Orpington Mum,

I'm an Orpington mum too! I've taken a bit of a break from the forum for the last couple of months having been totally addicted to the site since February (having come through the mild addiction stage since December last year). My daughter was eventually offered a place on 219 during the 2nd week of May and as another poster has confirmed the mark has gone to at least 218. Although my understanding was that the original mark of 220 meant that 150 names went to the council of which 113 were accepted (see other my other posts around end April/May re the farce that then ensued).

Would I select Newstead first again? No! Not for all the heartache it put us through. My lowly advice would be to ensure that you sit all the tests for the 'area' that is, Kent, Bexley and Newstead and be really honest about your child's abilites when you make your selection in two (can you believe it) month's time. I still believe that my daughter will be just fine at Newstead however we (OK I) made the mistake of saying it was alright for her to not bother with the Kent test - big mistake! It would have given us so many more options if we had done so.

Good Luck - your post made me smile (in a cruel - thank goodness it is not me sort of way) I wish you and your daughter all the very, very best. Do keep up with this site as it provides you with so much very valuable advice and support.

Kind regards,

still Tired Mum