How did it go yesterday?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MM

How did it go yesterday?

Post by MM »

Hi, is there anyone out there whose child took the 11+ in Maidstone/mid Kent yesterday? My son said that the Verbal Reasoning was particularly hard and some children in his school did not finish. I wondered if anyone else had similar or even different experiences?
MM

Post by Guest »

Yes, my daughter took it and said the VR was OK, but the NVR was a bit tricky and so didn't quite finish.
jo

VR very hard

Post by jo »

Yes Verbal Reasoning very hard. Son said four people crying in room, spoke to other schools all feel the same, but Non-Verbal OK :cry:
Jean

11+ test yesterday

Post by Jean »

Son in Sevenoaks found Verbal Reasoning hard, all the maths ones he was good at were eliminated and some words he had not heard of. All friends found it the same and other schools found it hard. His friend did not finish and my son had two more to go and usually finished all previous NFER Nelson tests in plenty of time, Non Verbal was OK but again format changed with no codes in them (his favourite) he is not looking forward to today's Maths.
MM

Re: How did it go yesterday?

Post by MM »

I understand the NVR went reasonably okay on Monday. The most noticeable comment seems that the children did not like doing 4 sections with 18 questions in each section, I think they had just got used to doing 5 sections as in the NFER practise papers.

The maths was okay too, sufficient time to finish and no surprises.

It's a pity the children have to wait 7 weeks for the result of their hard work. Although fortunately my son seems to have already put the experience behind him and moved on :)
JO

Yesterdays' Paper

Post by JO »

Hi, there. Yes my son was a bit disappointed with the format of NVR, liked the codes section the best and this was where he made up marks but this section was taken out. Nevertheless, found the NVR not too bad (after the VR paper), and was fine with the maths. Spoke to his teacher and she said problem with VR was they took alot of the maths sections out and put in two new sections they had not seen before which confused alot of children. Our school is in Sevenoaks and headmaster had to go another school on the day to supervise. Apparently, that school 90% of children did not finish the VR, so felt a bit better about that. Good luck
anon

Post by anon »

did you know the head of school knows within one month of the test and they then decide who to appeal for. Hence homework and school books go missing in February. It is an appalling state of the 11+, as I believe it is the parents who put the work into their child passing this exam and not the school Unfortunately (unless your child is in private eduction) it is not the school's fault, the SATs are next, which means SWAT to any body apart from the governors and the government.!
MM

Timescale of results

Post by MM »

Hi, I didn't know what the timescale was for the Head finding out the results. But I did know that he won't discuss anything with anyone until March when the results are official :o(

I think this is a shame because parents can offer additional material for appeals eg music exam results, dancing, life guarding etc.

MM

Post by Guest »

It's understandable to some extent why the headmasters do not enter into discussion ahead of March - they would be swamped by parents trying to sway their decisions and actions.
sad

Re: Timescale of results

Post by sad »

MM wrote:Hi, I didn't know what the timescale was for the Head finding out the results. But I did know that he won't discuss anything with anyone until March when the results are official :o(

I think this is a shame because parents can offer additional material for appeals eg music exam results, dancing, life guarding etc.

MM
I don't think dancing/music is relevant - if you want a place at a grammar - its academic ability that matters. The Headmaster appeals against a result he thinks is unfair and offers the child's academic materials as proof. It can't come from a parent - you would just get some parents doing the work themselves. We have our chance to put forward a case after the results are published.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now