was QE in Faversham really oversubscribed this year?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MMMum

was QE in Faversham really oversubscribed this year?

Post by MMMum »

I heard from some Y6 parents that lots of people who selected QE as their first choice didn't get it this year. Does anyone know a reason for this? We live in Whitstable and it's a popular grammar school for this area, but this year it seems many were not lucky....
womanofkent

Re: was QE in Faversham really oversubscribed this year?

Post by womanofkent »

Hi
although I can't answer your exact question as QE was third on our list and we got our second choice I do wonder if Simon Langton Boys bringing in their higher entry score will have affected the QE admissions as SLB only went out to 7.6685 miles and that was for those boys achieving 385 or above. So boys not achieving that score would have been looking at alternative schools and I know QE was already popular with children from Whitstable. I really liked it, (although DS wanted an all boys school - fed up of girls!) so it sounds like we wouldn't have got in there either if that is the case. Might be worth calling them, I have found them very helpful when I spoke to their reception staff in the past.
MMMum

Post by MMMum »

Looks like I can answer my own question now! I read on another site that QE has gone from being the 19th most over-subscribed school to the 5th (in one year!) and that more than half the children who qualified for GS, but didn't get one, were from Whitstable or Herne Bay... Doesn't bode well for us next year.
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

If you are looking at next year I wouldn't panic just yet, the trouble is each year is different. Last year the scores didn't seem to be as high and I know that in our area schools that were normally over subscribed had empty places and took low scores through appeal. The pass mark last year was the same at 119 but if you look at the likes of Judd they took 121 students on full marks this year which in other years would have been the whole year. Schools also seem to go through being in favour, also the amount of siblings in the school already will make an impact. so many variables I'm afraid.