Sevenoaks Grammar - would your child go if they scored 423?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Essex2Kent

Sevenoaks Grammar - would your child go if they scored 423?

Post by Essex2Kent »

It would be interesting to know if those children that score highly on their 11+ would they still pick ToGGS or Judd or would they go to Invicta Grammar Sevenoaks?

Its a question of distance/convenience over SS choice?

What is you have a DS at Judd already and another due to take the test 2014? Same for ToGGS?

Is the new Sevenoaks Grammar going to be competing with Tec and WoK and not the SS's?

For me, as a Mum with one at a SS and one due to take it, is the younger one passes, they will go to Invicta Sevenoaks even with top marks (taking into account their own choice/view of course) as I believe in local schools for local kids.

What do you all think?
pp1

Re: Sevenoaks Grammar - would your child go if they scored 4

Post by pp1 »

it is all very interesting.

Does anyone know how many children currently pass the 11+ from S'oaks?

Not sure if I have read it right but if this school (presumably based at Wildernesse) is a 4 form entry, so that will mean 60 girls and 60 boys places, it doesnt seem a very large number of places to be offering does it? Surely only those families with kids living in Seal and the immediate area around the school will get in?
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

Here is the information...

"Kent County Council (KCC) has announced that Invicta Grammar School in Maidstone will be establishing a satellite grammar school in Sevenoaks from September 2015 on the Wildernesse site. It will be a four form of entry school, admitting boys and girls from ages 11-18. The Sevenoaks satellite will be a non-super selective school, and will admit 120 children who pass the new Kent 11+ exam and who live nearest to the Wildernesse site.

Invicta Grammar School is operated by the Valley Invicta Academies Trust (VIAT), and is rated as an outstanding school by OFSTED, and is also the highest performing non-super selective school in Kent. Each year its results at GCSE and A level place the school in the top 1% of all schools nationally.

Paul Carter, KCC leader said: “Thousands of people told us that they wanted us to explore the provision of grammar school education in the Sevenoaks area, and this partnership shows KCC’s commitment to reflecting those views. In many respects, this is the definition of democracy in Kent.”

Mike Whiting, KCC Education Chief, said: “I am delighted that KCC and VIAT are working closely together to move this project forward. I will be sending Michael Gove a joint proposal for grammar provision in Sevenoaks by Monday.”

Sarah Shilling, Sevenoaks Grammar School Campaigner, said: “This is brilliant news. KCC and Mike Whiting have worked tirelessly on our behalf, and have delivered on their promise to the Sevenoaks parents with a truly outstanding, co-educational, non-selective, community satellite grammar school.”

Andrew Shilling, Sevenoaks Grammar School Campaigner, said: “The voice of the people has been heard. The site is in place, the funding has been made available, and now the parent grammar school has stepped forward. We congratulate Dr Philip Limbert, VIAT’s CEO, and Mrs Julie Derrick, head teacher of Invicta Grammar School, on having the vision and courage to commit to this win-win partnership.”

Sarah Shilling added: “Not only is this brilliant news for Sevenoaks children, but this is also brilliant news for children in Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells because the satellite will free up valuable grammar school places in those towns as well.”

“Invicta” is the county of Kent’s motto and is Latin for unvanquished."
mystery

Post by mystery »

Would my child go if scored 423 - if it was on my doorstep then yes. Otherwise probably not as the journey for us is not better than to anywhere else.
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

mystery wrote:Would my child go if scored 423 - if it was on my doorstep then yes. Otherwise probably not as the journey for us is not better than to anywhere else.
Yes it was more aimed at those in Sevenoaks really...
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: But I am in Sevenoaks District, and there is no other grammar in Sevenoaks District ... if the other grammars rejig their admissions policies because of this new school (if it happens) it could be an issue -- technically it's closer as the crow flies, but public transport wise it's not as good. Logically this grammar would have us in their oversubscription priority area and Weald of Kent would drop us from theirs. Maybe that won't happen.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Essex2Kent wrote:Yes it was more aimed at those in Sevenoaks really...
But why? This is exactly why the argument for a GS in Sevenoaks has been so cursed by so many and viewed as posh people stamping their feet and demanding as school for their little darlings.

If you have lived in the town or district for any length of time you would know that it would not be a GS just for Sevenoaks children. There are many many children in the satellite/surrounding villages who travel THROUGH Sevenoaks to get to GS in Ton and TW - I know as a youngster I was one of them - it's just that Sevenoaks provides the main transport links and has the nearest train and bus links. It will provide a district GS for those who live outside the catchment for the non SS GS's.

If I had a child who was of GS age when the school opened I would give it very serious consideration, just as I gave serious consideration to Oakwood, MGS, TWGSB, Judd and Skinners. As I've said before the travelling is of no consideration to me - being local it's just what you do if you live here - what the school is like/ whether it suits my DC is of far more importance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now