2007 KENT TEST

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

You are not meant to be preparing your child for two years, and Kent CC are hardly going to be trying to encourage this! Ideally I'm sure that they would prefer all children to be untutored but, failing that, they will want everyone to have the chance to do just enough practice to familiarise themselves with the papers. They are trying to identify the top 25% on natural ability, NOT see who can be coached up to a predetermined level.

Everyone will be in the same boat next year and the pass mark will be set (presumably this is done after the papers are marked each year) such that 22% (or whatever) of the total cohort pass. If children on average score lower than this year, the pass mark will be correspondingly lowered.
Laura

Kent test

Post by Laura »

KCC are looking at moving the date to Sept for 2009 admissions, but wont know until at least after Xmas and possibly not until April. They are also reviewing the subjects - currently VR, NVR, Maths and a back up written English paper
Peter

Post by Peter »

The reality is that coaching will take place; its a massive industry in West Kent in particular, and I am sure that many tutoring companies are already working on the assumption of a September test.

The change will not be introduced in haste, KCC are carrying out a full consultation, and schools are being kept informed. The new Code of Practice recommends testing before application and the clear steer of the consultation is for this to happen with a September test.

Medway has already introduced testing with results before application this year.

Last night I was giving a talk to parents at a school on the Kent/Medway boundary. It was apparent, in spite of having both Kent and Medway parents in the audience with many applying to schools in both authorities, that pretesting simplified the process no end. The logic for pretesting is very powerful, but the consultation must run its course, and this is more important than a few families who don't get their tutoring in place in time!

Tutoring is not part of the process, and so cannot be taken into consideration when setting timetables.
curiousgeorge

Post by curiousgeorge »

Peter, have just been made aware of this likely change by friend with child at different school than my own. Is it really likely that results will be known before Christmas for 2009 entrants (.e., christmas 2008)? I understand that when the 11plus was held pre Christmas a few years ago the results still weren't given out until applications were made.

I would be delighted if testing was brought forward and results made known prior to application as we are currently in position of putting child forward in hope that a place is achieved at highly selective in west kent. It is a daunting and stressful time for parents (hopefully child is still ignorant of g a mble involved), but what would be the reasons for not going forward with this idea? Do you know what objections could be against this?

Curious George - I have edited your post to reveal the word that was asterisked out by the Forum's filters. Moderator Sally-Anne.

Post by Guest »

It will indeed be easier curiousgeorge, but of course you still won't know for sure whether you child will get a place at one of the West Kent grammars unless he/she scores the maximum in every paper and you live practically next door....
It is likely to be of more benefit to applicants who just need a selective assessment (and live close to their school of choice).
Peter

Post by Peter »

Yes, the whole idea of early testing is so that applications can be made knowing the results. Medway has a closing date of 6 December this year, Kent is likely to be similar in 2008.

Knowing the results reduces the g a mble, although for grammar schools selecting on high scores you will still not know these in advance, as they depend on the number of applicants.

Edited for you too Peter - Super Mod S-A!
curiousgeorge

Post by curiousgeorge »

Thank you Peter (and Sally Ann for moderating)

Would you mind clarifying the point about high scores? Would parents just be given a pass/fail and told either to apply to a grammar or not? Many thanks again. I am interested as I have a child in year 5 and year 6, both of which will rely on high scores and no sibling policy.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Parents should be able to find out the actual scores. Its then up to them whether to apply to grammar school, even if the child has failed. If the child fails or has not reached an appropriate score, and you wish to appeal you will still have to apply to the particular school.
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

I have contacted KCC education department and this is going out for consultation to interested parties.Whether any parents are consulted remains to be seen .A decision will be made in April but can be over ruled .Prepare for an interesting Summer!

Post by Guest »

Curiousgeorge
What happens at the moment is that KCC merely tell you whether your child has been assessed as suitable for grammar or not (ie whether they have achieved a basic pass or their headteacher has succeeded in appealling against a fail). Your child's primary school will, however, have the actual standardised scores for each paper and can give these to you if you ask.

What no-one will know until after the application deadline is what the "cut-off" scores will be at the schools which select on rank order (none of which can now give priority to siblings). This is because these will naturally depend on the scores achieved by the individual applicants to that particular school and no-one knows which children that will be until the CAF forms are all in. If, for example, your child scores 410 out of 420 you still won't know whether this will be enough to get into Judd, skinners or TGS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now