Kent test September 2014 takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Kent test September 2014 takers

Post by mystery »

when he says no creative writing, I don't think that means that the writing task for borderline failures has necessarily been scrapped - just that there is no marked writing piece as part of the main test. But we've known that for ages - the tender documentation is for a multiple choice test.

What else did he say?!!!!
TestingTimes

Post by TestingTimes »

I've just double checked with my husband and he also remembers hearing him mention that KCC had asked for the providers of next year's test to include comprehension.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Gawd! I had thought there would be a comprehension on this year's paper if there was going to be a literacy element?! Is it just going to be straightforward grammar, punctuation etc?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't think there can be any definite information yet other than what was asked for in the tender specification which is on the Kent Business Portal - the thing that is quoted from earlier in this thread. Unless the contract has already been awarded, and the head of Judd has read some documents specifying exactly what the new test will consist of, and is talking about this at a meeting ..... sounds unlikely.

The tender did not specifically say a comprehension passage - that was up to tenderers how to meet the general requirements of the tender document.

If it's CEM we know there is likely to be multi-choice comprehension, and if it's GL assessment don't they have comprehension in their English papers?

Multichoice always.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Anyone got any good tips for multiple choice maths practice papers (with a separate answer sheet) which are a bit easier than the 8 GL assessment familiarisation papers?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Mystery, if you google maths 11plus multiple choice papers it comes up with lots of examples..some books , some downloads. I've just bought quite a lot from the shop here..there's a big variety...some might be multiple choice and the free downloads have an answer sheet so may be multiple choice.

I have made up my own multiple choice answer sheet before..it is a good idea to get them used to looking at the answers for the answer!

Feeling very proactive. Had a bit of a hot aargh agitated moment the other day but have looked at the year 5 prep bit on here and feel more organised now. Just need to work on the comprehension side of things. Also noted there could be questions asking dc to pick out pronouns and prepositions...hope dd knows what they are...I've completely forgotten!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Good tips thank you.

Does GL assessment ask that type of question in their English papers? Or have you seen that as a possible CEM question? It's hardly a test of native wit but .....
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Saw it when looking through different papers...we are not going to know what's exactly in the literacy bit so anythings possible and I'm covering all eventualities ! My books arrived today and dd and I looked at the cloze book ( first one ) . The exercise about a man and an abhorrent train journey was really :shock: difficult ....dd was completely out of her depth...hopefully that's a harder one .
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

Just found this on the judd website:

Admissions to Year 7 in September 2015 & 2016

The Admissions Criteria for 2015 would normally be consulted upon for two months within the period 1 November 2013 to 28 February 2014; however given the Governing Body’s consideration of introducing our own entrance examination it is timely to give an update now.

For the 2015 cohort admission will continue to be through performance in the Kent PESE tests (11+) and these will be sat in September 2014. KCC are currently examining the tenders submitted to run the 2014 tests and we are pleased to note that the tender documents specify (for the first time) a literacy element; however we do not yet know what form that will take.

No decisions have yet been made about 2016 entry and the Governing Body continue to consider the introduction of a Judd Entry Test. The key motivator for this is to measure literacy and writing skills and include this as part of the entry requirements.

From the Governing Body:

“We are currently exploring the feasibility of developing a new test; the test will be trialled in the forthcoming year and a final decision made on its implementation for the September 2016 entry later this academic year.”

Robert Masters
October 2013

Doesn't tell us anything new but it is confirmation of what was said in the open evening.
womanofkent

Post by womanofkent »

As my one and only DS took his test in Sept 2012 and is now at NKS I just wanted to sympathise with you all. The Kent test is stressful enough without not knowing what they are going to be tested on. Good luck to all your children. You have 2 very experienced and helpful ladies on this thread you are in the best place. Having had a child who excels in English more than maths I would be pleased if there was more of this element in the test to make it a bit "fairer" to those like him and I know so do the schools as Dover and Knatchbull continue in year 7 with a grammar, spellings and punctuation lesson once a fortnight as they have found that a lot of students lack in this area.

All the best :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now