Kent test September 2014 takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Re: Kent test September 2014 takers

Post by fatbananas »

Hello BrendaDean!

So, it's October. When will we find out about KT? Reading the Judd thread, it seems they are not now running their own test, so are they happier with any new test that's being proposed? If so, why don't the rest of us know what test is being proposed?!!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Sorry: I've just found the answer to my own question by looking at the tender document :roll: So, it looks like whoever has been awarded the contract finds out on Monday. Do you think the general public get to find out on Monday as well??

Set out below is the proposed procurement timetable:

Proposed Procurement Timetable
Last date for tender clarification requests 5 September 2013
Closing date and time for tender submissions 10 September 2013
Commencement of Mandatory requirements evaluation period 11 September 2013
Commencement of tender evaluation period 18 September 2013
Commencement of post-submission tender clarification period
Please note the Authority reserves the right to ask Suppliers to provide a presentation to the Authority’s officers. 23 September 2013
Notification of contract award 7 October 2013
Commencement of standstill period 8 October 2013
Service commencement date 23 October 2013
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Unless you can find it in the contract store on the kent business portal I would imagine that we need to ask. Whether they will answer without a freedom of information request I do not know.

A freedom of information request takes up to 20 working days from the time of asking.

It might be possible to see in online committee agendas etc which tender was approved somewhere on the website?

Maybe they will respond to a phone all?

Trouble is, if the answer is g l assessment we still don't know what the test consists of - e.g. Which forms of reasoning, their English questions, and are they inventing something new especially for kent?

Bexley and bucks provided their information on the tests much later in the day (not sure when).

If everyone tries to find out maybe we will end up with something?

Yes, that procurement timetable says 7 October, but it is not set in stone either.

Did you read something which says judd has decided definitely not to leave the kent test? What is the link please? The newsletter from the chair of governors on the website for September says they are considering a judd entrance test.

It also says they are going to try to make their expansion to five form entry permanent.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

I was at The Judd open evening on Tuesday.
The head teacher confirmed that there will not be a separate entrance exam for 2014 takers and entrance will be via top scores from the kent test as usual.
However he did say that they hope to implement an entrance exam for the following year, which will include creative writing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I wonder why with 20 students going to Oxbridge this year, and their powers to attract the best girls from the other grammar sixth forms, and their acknowledged strength in maths and science (particularly relative to the other grammar sixth forms round here) he sees it as desirable to add a creative writing element?

Mind you, the knack is in the scoring and weighting of all the different elements of the test whether this affects their final intake or not.
themadcatlady

Post by themadcatlady »

I spoke to the Head at DS' primary school this morning to see if she had any news of the new test and she has assured me that as soon as she hears anything, she will be telling us Year 5 parents and sharing as much information as possible. So if I find out anything that way I'll be sure to post it on here.

I'm sure when I was trawling though the Bucks thread that it wasn't until January that they found out what the new test would consist of, which seems a long way off :roll:

On a positive note DS is really enjoying the 11+ apps that I bought from this site, much happier to do these than a Bond book. So I may well stick with these for a while (while the novelty lasts!) and then go back to paper workbooks/papers etc when we have a bit more of an idea of what will be included...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - hopefully we'll all share if we hear anything. I know I won't be finding anything out from my school though; the head wasn't aware the test was changing. I don't suppose there is any particular reason why they would be aware. They went "oh dear, what about all those people who are tutoring using the old-style test materials?". But who knows - if it is just a rehashed chopped down mixed up version of GL assessment maths, VR and NVR they could be the most sensible in this - knowing there might be a change could have been a disadvantage to people who would otherwise have got on with just that.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:A freedom of information request takes up to 20 working days from the time of asking.
Probably the best idea at this stage and will be back before the end of the month :D
TestingTimes

Post by TestingTimes »

I could be wrong so perhaps others who were at the Judd Open Evening this week could confirm, but I thought I heard the Headmaster say that KCC have asked for a multiple choice comprehension section to be included in next year's test? He also mentioned no creative writing due to the time it would take to mark so many papers.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

TestingTimes wrote:I could be wrong so perhaps others who were at the Judd Open Evening this week could confirm, but I thought I heard the Headmaster say that KCC have asked for a multiple choice comprehension section to be included in next year's test? He also mentioned no creative writing due to the time it would take to mark so many papers.
I think he might have said something about the content of the next test but am not sure what that was.
He said no creative writing for 2014 takers but they plan to implement their own test in the future that will include creative writing. (I made a particular mental note of this as my son's weak area is creative writing.)
I wish I could go back and listen to what he said again, it all happened so quickly that I think I missed some important bits.
Can anyone else remember anything?