GL Paper scores - should I be panicing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: GL Paper scores - should I be panicing?

Post by mystery »

That is quite comforting though - it is much easier to sharpen some of the things that cause silly mistakes than it is to teach a child to see how to solve a variety of problem types.

If they are arithmetic errors, have you worked closely enough with him to see how the errors arise? If you do, you can then devise some exercises to help practise correctly the types of calculation that go wrong.

Do not get flustered by the marks, but use every error as a future teaching point. There will be a lot of people going to the test who have never tried those papers.
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

Hi, I'm confused by the raw score/ standardised score comparison. I've read threads on here stating that 70-75% for a 10.6 yr old would be likely to achieve a 140. However my daughter who took her test in 2011 got 140/137/133 but in practise papers was consistently achieving 90-98% under test conditions (as near as poss). I only worry as Dd2 is taking this year and by distance won't get in, so will have to rely on score. Dd1 got her choice but only after appeal. Trying to be chilled :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Which practice papers was dd1 using when she consistently got 90 to 98 percent?
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

The same papers, Gl assessment, bond & letts.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ok, so you are saying that dd1 got 90 to 98 per cent on the gl assessment practice papers that are available in maths, nvr, and vr, but did not get a raw score of at least 75 per cent in two out of three papers in the real thing.

Did you do all 8 practice papers in each subject? Did she score 90 per cent and above in all of them?

Did she do the real rest over two days at her primary or all in one morning at a test centre?
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

If it's any help, last year DS's raw scores were VR 94%, NVR 85% and maths 76% and his standardised scores 141 x 3. What this doesn't tell you though is the range of scores to score 141. In terms of how this compares to practice papers, the VR and NVR are in line with what he would usually get (maybe slightly lower) but the maths is quite a bit lower than he would normally get (normally 90-100%).
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

She took it at her primary school over 2 days, I don't know what her raw score was, but the 2010 info suggests that 75% or above should be 140. Just worrying that if dd1 never got below 86% in practise (yes all papers) and more frequently in the 90's, was that just a bad day/exam nerves or are the 2010 statistics misleading? She got the school after appeal, but what should I expect for dd2 who is getting between 80-96%? I must stop stressing!
wildflower

Post by wildflower »

Bond girl, yes that is helpful. Thank you x
mystery

Post by mystery »

I would not worry. A relative of mine got much lower scores when practising the gl assessment practice papers, but got superselective scores on the day. Children all perform differently on the day. Could it have been noisy in the school hall? Was your dd hungry?

What preparation had dd 1 done to do so consistently well in the practice papers at home?

Unless you know an invigilators who has read and tried the real papers it is hard to know if the real papers are harder than the practice papers, or if the drop in raw score on the day is due to other factors.

I sometimes think that a child who is used to getting 90% in practice at home will be a bit shaken by a paper where getting 50 to 75% is tough.

So I am saying that the real papers could well be harder, but the fact that your dd2 scores less in practice sessions may well not be a reliable indicator that she will score less than her sister on the day.
committed

Post by committed »

Hi wildflower,

I was the one who requested the scores from KCC in 2010 and as my youngest DS also sat his test in 2012 I received the cut-off for a 141 score for a September birthday. In addition, another poster got the scores for 2011. So for the three years (in order from 2010-2012) for an 11 year old to achieve the maximum the scores required were 63/80, 62/80 and 64/80 for Verbal reasoning respectively. They were 50/72, 53/72 and 51/72 for NVR and 40/50, 39/50 and 39/50 for Maths. As the scores show, they haven’t really changed significantly over the past three years, so I think they can be considered reliable.

However the reality is that, as previous posters have said, the kids do tend to perform differently on the day with Maths being the most variable. This is probably because it appears to be the one that has the most steps/traps or at least that was the feedback I got after mine sat it! So you could get a question that goes along the lines of: A coat costs £18. It is reduced by 30% in a sale. How much change do you get from £20? Whilst all the individual calculations are easy, there is plenty of scope for kids under exam pressure to go wrong.

Hopefully your DD will do really well.

Best of luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now