GL Paper scores - should I be panicing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wildflower

Re: GL Paper scores - should I be panicing?

Post by wildflower »

Thank you Commited, that's really helpful. There was a fair bit of disruption during the test, as there were building works going on. I suppose that it's actually anyone's guess what they'll actually do on the day anyway! We can only hope that they feel well prepared and do the best they can on the day. Thanks though, I feel happier about dd2 now. X
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I have two boys who sat the Kent test over the last few years, and the eldest scored 21 Percent on a practice paper three weeks before the real thing :shock: . He made lots of silly mistakes mainly because he was ( and still is ) a bit slap dash. However both he and his brother pulled it out of the bag on the day. I think at this stage they just get a bit fed up and don't concentrate properly or really take it as seriously as they do for the real thing.

All you can do now, is to make sure they know each maths topics i.e how many angles in a triangle, percentages etc and then learn how to read the problem questions. The same things come up, they are just worded differently. If need be, whizz through each type and give them 1 question of each, maybe sit with them and then alternate that with the timed tests. That helped mine anyway. :D
rosehulk

Post by rosehulk »

Btw my child passed with 390
.....so this may help those who are preparing for 2014
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thank you for coming back. Well done to your child. Do you still feel a difference between test performance and home practice with the 8 g l practice papers per subject?
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

GL score does do a bit of panic. It came as a shock to my super bright ds who has been flying through the Bond etc. He did score 80-90% consistently but there were few blips as well. What it helped for us was to point out that the core concepts need thorough revision. We also did a second iteration and to my surprise my ds did not repeat the mistakes but still got another 1 or 2 wrong (which he previously did correctly).

I will refrain from posting my ds's score/achievements as some forum members may tag that as boasting. :)

I quite like the contents but will save it to do later in summer not at this stage. I mean if you do GL now then what will you do between Jan - Aug??
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well, there are now 32 g l papers to practise for kent. You could do those now to identify weak spots, then work on weak spots, then broaden out to some other question types, then come back to g l ? Just a thought.

Also, maybe we will find out something life changing for us in the may info from kcc?

While you are all doing that my child will still be eating her breakfast cereal and deciding what to do next.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

mystery wrote:Well, there are now 32 g l papers to practise for kent.

What 32 papers are those, specifically, Mystery? I'm a bit ignorant about the ones needed. I bought, ages ago, the GL variety m/c pack, I think, I can't find it at the moment ... but which others do you mean?

I just wish there was a 'checklist' of resources we needed to cover, so I felt we were making progress. We're doing S&S mental arith 4, Bond 10-11 maths and trying to do one comprehension a week - not always managing it. I feel really behind. :(
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Gl assessment produces familiarisation papers in four subjects - vr, nvr, English and maths. They are available in standard form or multichoice. There are 8 papers in each subject - pack 1 and pack 2 each contain four papers.

For many years the kent test was based on the types of question in the maths, nvr and vr packs. Gl also publishes two books showing you how to do the question types in vr and nvr.

We have been left in the dark about the 2014 test but one possibility is that it is one paper of vr and nvr mixed up, and the other paper English and maths mixed up. One paper is about reasoning ability and the other about maths and literacy attainment according to the press release.

Of course gl produces gazillions of other question types in its various tests which are only available to schools, so this might not be the answer.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I see; thanks.

Yes, I do wonder if it's going to be something rather different than what they currently produce (allowing for time constraints), in order to make it 'untutorable'.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't know. But I would kick myself in May if I hadn't made an effort with the gl papers which are available to the public.

The words of the kcc press release are " there will be scope to vary the exercises within the test to keep the format fresh "

There always was this scope. With 22 vr question types from g l there was scope for change each year. There are only 8 nvr question types in gl stuff- maybe this is the one where we will see a difference? And English is new to kent, but it is anyone's guess whether the gl English papers are a clue or not. Worth looking at the level 5 spag requirements too I would think.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now