Are head teachers allowed to disclose marks?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
West Kent Mum

Re: Are head teachers allowed to disclose marks?

Post by West Kent Mum »

Read on another thread that the deadline for Head Master appeal was Friday last week. But don't take my word for it! You'd better call KCC and check.
cassandre

Post by cassandre »

Yes, the deadline was Friday 27th and all letters were sent out on Tuesday 24th.

I have since spoken to my head teacher who rang the Kent Education Department.

Missing letter has been faxed to the school and I got the impression they have given the school a few days in which to get in an appeal should it be necessary.

Am feeling less stressy. Cupboard breathing a huge sigh of relief as there wasn't much else I could eat.
Dande

Post by Dande »

:lol:
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Is the appeal process for children who have missed out the grammar school cut-off narrowly and are deemed to be academically good by headteacher?
OR
Is the appeal process also for children who have qualified but not high enough to get into super-selective. For example a child scores 418 and cut off for super-selective is 419.

I haven't thought much on the appeal process as I find the the whole appeal process unethical. I mean what is the head-teacher and parent trying to achieve here - a back door entry? Is the purpose of exam not to filter out who qualifies and who doesn't. Surely every dc is the most brilliant child in parent's eyes but that's not the case in reality. The head teacher may not have the visibility of other hundreds of children who have equal potential but also missed out narrowly so they are not in a correct position to appeal. And what is the logic of appeal - this child is bright, please take him/her. If that's the case, then why appear in the exam.

Sorry but I don't understand it and in my world, my ds should score high enough with his hard work and I am not going to seek any help from the head teacher.
Dande

Post by Dande »

I think it's something along the lines of:

This child, Joe Bloggs, is really suited to Grammar school education because he has achieved this that and the other whilst at this school. He is a sensible, studious child who must have been having an off day the one day this exam took place, because as I can prove by the enclosed work, Joe achieves again and again at school on a day to day basis.

Whether the appeal process can be used for pass to super selective scores I wouldn't know - but I think the main purpose is to help the few who should have passed from slipping through the net.
Push

Post by Push »

parent2013 wrote:Is the appeal process for children who have missed out the grammar school cut-off narrowly and are deemed to be academically good by headteacher?
OR
Is the appeal process also for children who have qualified but not high enough to get into super-selective. For example a child scores 418 and cut off for super-selective is 419.

I haven't thought much on the appeal process as I find the the whole appeal process unethical. I mean what is the head-teacher and parent trying to achieve here - a back door entry? Is the purpose of exam not to filter out who qualifies and who doesn't. Surely every dc is the most brilliant child in parent's eyes but that's not the case in reality. The head teacher may not have the visibility of other hundreds of children who have equal potential but also missed out narrowly so they are not in a correct position to appeal. And what is the logic of appeal - this child is bright, please take him/her. If that's the case, then why appear in the exam.

Sorry but I don't understand it and in my world, my ds should score high enough with his hard work and I am not going to seek any help from the head teacher.
I do not think the HTs can say that a particular applicant is suited for a Super Selective and therefore should be given marks above the cut-off. In fact they would (nor would the concerned super selective school have decided by then) not know what the cut-off is. It is my understanding that all they can comment upon is whether an applicant should have "passed" the test. And dont forget that it is still an appeal!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

it is as Dande said, Joe B's books will be sent off to prove that they are academically capable.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

It is part of the Kent process. 25% of Kent pupils are selected as eligible for grammar schools: 21% of these via the Kent Test and a further 4% through Head Teacher Appeals. I'm not entirely certain whether it would be possible to get a place purely through the HTA route, but it isn't really anything to do with the test as such. Your "test" score would still stand but you would be eligible to apply for a grammar place. So not much use for grammars which admit based on scores (inc superselectives), but fine for the East Kent schools who tend to have catchments.

It isn't any use to OOC who are out of catchment as far I can see, although strictly they are still part of the process, and a number of OOC children are deemed to have passed via this appeal each year.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Thank you all. That's the principles I have been working on that get a top score and don't worry about any other parameters.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Admissions told me that it is definitely if the child has not passed. I guess not much use to get a pass if you are OOC or going to a Super selective. Is there?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now