Are head teachers allowed to disclose marks?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Push

Re: Are head teachers allowed to disclose marks?

Post by Push »

salsa wrote:Admissions told me that it is definitely if the child has not passed. I guess not much use to get a pass if you are OOC or going to a Super selective. Is there?
Absolutely no! The scores are still sent out to all the Schools to which the applicants belong, whether or not they are in county or OCC OR whether or not they have scored above pass marks or not.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Sorry Push, I don't quite follow. "Absolutely not" what?
I'm asking what would the advantage be to appeal for a pass if you are OOC and need a very high score? I agree that we all have to be treated equally and that if the headteacher feels he/she should appeal, then they should. I'm just failing to see the practical point as the OOC child would not get in? Maybe it's different for some grammars I don't know about where a pass is enough even for OOC children? What am I missing?
salsa

Post by salsa »

Oh, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I was saying that the headteacher appeals are if the child didn't pass only. The headteachers receive all scores. This appeal would not involve the parent. In fact, I was told the parent would never know!
The parent can, of course, appeal once they have the results under whatever grounds they see fit.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Back in the day (5 years ago!) my DS had an 'off' day and bombed his usually dead cert area NVR. He only missed it by one point but had been high scoring in school NFER papers and practice papers.
Our headteacher took it to a HT appeal and we were fortunate that with the evidence she provided from school, i:e consistently high NVR scores over 4 years, school books and of course the written piece which only gets looked at during appeal which incidentally involved a story about radio active guinea pigs (!) the appeal was successful.
The first we knew was when we got the scores from the head the day after the letter saying DS had been' assessed suitable for grammar' had come through the post.
salsa

Post by salsa »

tonbridgemum wrote:Back in the day (5 years ago!) my DS had an 'off' day and bombed his usually dead cert area NVR. He only missed it by one point but had been high scoring in school NFER papers and practice papers.
Our headteacher took it to a HT appeal and we were fortunate that with the evidence she provided from school, i:e consistently high NVR scores over 4 years, school books and of course the written piece which only gets looked at during appeal which incidentally involved a story about radio active guinea pigs (!) the appeal was successful.
The first we knew was when we got the scores from the head the day after the letter saying DS had been' assessed suitable for grammar' had come through the post.
I am glad your headteacher was familiar with your child's performance. Our school does not prepare children for 11+. Has nothing to do with it. They don't give us any advice and when I approached the deputy head for guidance, he cringed and said that if he had a child, he wouldn't send him/her to a grammar school. I felt as though I was a neglectful parent sending my child to jail! We now have a new headteacher who doesn't know our children at all.
Push

Post by Push »

salsa wrote:Sorry Push, I don't quite follow. "Absolutely not" what?
I'm asking what would the advantage be to appeal for a pass if you are OOC and need a very high score? I agree that we all have to be treated equally and that if the headteacher feels he/she should appeal, then they should. I'm just failing to see the practical point as the OOC child would not get in? Maybe it's different for some grammars I don't know about where a pass is enough even for OOC children? What am I missing?
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was agreeing with what you said that there is no benefit of the HT's appeal for OCC applicants as for Superselectives the cut-off is significantly higher than the pass score and for other schools other over-subscription criteria like distance from the school etc come into play (though there might be some just-outside-the-border candidates that might still benefit, but only a few, I think).
salsa

Post by salsa »

Ok, yes there may be a point.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Salsa, although we were lucky the HT did know our son, she was not in favour of the 11+!! They did no preparation in the run up and she didn't 'believe' in Grammar schools.
The NFER tests are done by lots of Kent schools during the year as tracking assessments and aren't only for 11+guidance.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Well, I'm even more impressed if she didn't believe in it, but yet was professional enough to appeal.
2d12go

Post by 2d12go »

There probably is a good reason for going through a Headteachers appeal even if you are OCC and looking at a Superselective as if its successful and you appeal to the school you are on the right side of the line ie you have passed the the 11+. Which would strengthen slightly your hand.

Just a thought.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now