Judd School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ernestdad

Judd School

Post by Ernestdad »

As a parent of a 2013 Yr7 Judd boy thought it might be useful to prospective parents to reflect on our experience to date.

My DS surprised us with a score of 418 for 2013 entry and we were over joyed he secured a place at Judd, which we always thought was the best match for him. We were a little concerned about his 20 min train commute front Orpington but if anything he has thrived on the responsibility and has turned into a responsible young man right before our eyes. Apart from getting a bit lost in his first week, his experience so far has been very positive. He loves getting in early and going to breakfast club, apparently the bacon rolls are "scrumy", he enjoyed showing prospective parents and children around on open evening and despite never playing rugby before has taken to it and was v. proud to brag about beating Skinners in his first competitive match. So far not a whiff of bullying, pastoral care has been excellent and communication with the school has been very well organised and timely. All parents are asked to contribute to Judd development fund, which we have decided to do, as we feel it is a small price to pay for a great school with great facilities and we also want to support the only issue DS has found at the school, which is the restricted cantine facilities. The hope being a new bigger cantine will be available in the next 1-2 years so DS can benefit from it. Overall I highly recommend Judd and by the smile my DS has when he leaves for school and when he arrives home he loves it. One final handy hint, homework does come home regularly make sure your DS does it immediately as it builds up quickly but Judd has a great IT system, which let's you log on and check homework status and scores, which is reassuring.

Judd entry overview ........: For 2013 entry, the school admitted an extra class of boys (for one year only), and although there was an extended maximum score of 423,the cut off was 417, some boys on this score losing out on distance grounds. On first allocation, the bar fell to 412, but I don't anticipate this low figure for 2014 entry, unless there is a fifth form of entry again (which currently appears unlikely). 9 appeals for 2013 entry, none successful.
mystery

Re: Judd School

Post by mystery »

Is the fifth form of entry so unlikely? The latest newsletter from the chair of govs on their website I thought made it look like they were wanting to do it again.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

Thanks for the feedback. It is always great to hear the view of current parents, especially with scores out this week and CAFs to fill in. Good to hear especially from an OOC parent :wink: that the journey isn't too bad.
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

...... unlikely but personally I think it brings in valuable funds into the school when cuts in LA funding and pupil premium have hit hard so my guess would be if there is room it is always an option.
Ernestdad

Post by Ernestdad »

To prospective OOC parents, you find the Judd boys are a band of brothers and look out for each other so the commute is not really a problem. The weight of DS's book and kit bag the only grumble.
Peter

Post by Peter »

On first allocation, the bar fell to 412, but I don't anticipate another lower figure for 2014 entry, unless there is a fifth form of entry again (which is looking increasingly likely). The uncertainty over numbers will itself probably lead to a higher number of applications as more parents will be tempted to "have a go". 9 appeals for 2013 entry, none successful.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

:D :D :D :D :D

Please let my ds have scored highly enough!!
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

My reading of the latest letter from the chairman of the governors is they will make the five form entry a permanent feature. Whether that will happen this year who can tell but it's clearly something they intend to do in the very near future.

DaddyOh
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

The year 13 lad who showed us around said that they plan to keep the 5 form entry but it is 5 forms of smaller than normal size and the house system has been rearranged to accommodate it.

Even though it sounds like they intend to allow more children in, that may not be the case. It may be that the distribution of forms will be different but the numbers the same or only slightly more than in previous years.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Well done on beating Skinners! From a year 9 Judd parent