Which grammar school is the best among all Kent schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Toguptavikas

Which grammar school is the best among all Kent schools

Post by Toguptavikas »

Dear all, Our DD has been given given letter to be eligible for grammar school application in Kent. We are moving outside the county and given limited time can someone suggest the best school in the area. Tonbrige grammar school results look good though not ranked in FT scores. Further the school is néw given that it was established in 2011 only and have history of 2 years only which we think is not sufficient. So please suggest ASAP. Thanks
peter45

Re: Which grammar school is the best among all Kent schools

Post by peter45 »

Our daughter had a choice of TOGS or The Weald of Kent in Tonbridge and we chose The Weald. They get exceptional results without the stress. It is an excellent school
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Toguptavikas wrote: Tonbrige grammar school results look good though not ranked in FT scores. Further the school is néw given that it was established in 2011 only and have history of 2 years only which we think is not sufficient. So please suggest ASAP. Thanks
Surely TOGS is a little bit older than that??? If nothing else, no new Grammar Schools have been created since many years prior to that date; the law doesn't allow it (see the thread in the Kent section on the possibility of a GS annexe being opened in Sevenoaks).

Did it convert to Academy status in 2011? In that case, OFSTED will show that the current "entity" of the school only dates to that year, but you will be able to find all its Inspection Reports from before the conversion on the OFSTED site. There are two reports on the school's website.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: togs would be surprised!

Togup, yo u need a high score to get into that school, and it is for girls. You may not need t o live in kent for that one. What is the score you have?

You need to read the admission policies very carefully for each school you like the look of bef ore you move house. Also the school application form has to be in soon so you may be too late to move. Read the kent school admissions booklet too.

Did you mean that you are intending to move into kent?
doodles

Post by doodles »

TOGS has been going since I was at school which is nearer 40 years than 2!!! You need to read the admissions criteria for each school as some of them are pretty specific. Which bit of Kent are you looking at? It's an odd county and things are very different in different parts from what I understand.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

I think TOGS was established same year as TWGGS which was in 1905. They may not be in the league tables as they don't do A levels any more, just the IB. When you ask what is best, well the answer is "Depends what you are looking for!".
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Hi, just to add that the "best school in Kent" is not necessarily the best one for your child. Mine are at different GS because the different specialties and culture suit them as individuals. I don't think you can really know which school is best unless you visit them all. Sorry, I don't want to sound negative!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

anotherworriedmum wrote:Hi, just to add that the "best school in Kent" is not necessarily the best one for your child. Mine are at different GS because the different specialties and culture suit them as individuals. I don't think you can really know which school is best unless you visit them all. Sorry, I don't want to sound negative!

Absolutely! You need to visit the schools, ask questions and get the feel of the place.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I would agree. I think you mean which is the best re results but if your child isn't suited then it doesn't matter how good the overall exam results are , they might not achieve their best. Plus there are other important things to consider when you're choosing a school which will shape your dd from a child to an adult. Take a look around and go from there.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Perfectly put scarlett - we really do need a "like" button!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now