Dartford Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vinitasurya

Dartford Grammar

Post by vinitasurya »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and new to the whole 11+ situation. My DS is in Year 4 and we are moving to Dartford next month to be in the catchment for DGS. Its all a bit overwhelming as we are moving into a brand new place with no friends or aquaitances in the area.

My DS is an above average 9 year old, but a bit lazy! Could any veterans suggest what the right age is to begin tutoring and tips to make him realise the seriousness of the situation?

Appreciate any help
Thanks
theonly1

Re: Dartford Grammar

Post by theonly1 »

Hello vinitasurya,

I do not believe there is a right or wrong age for commencing preparation for your child. It depends on how you feel about it and how to introduce it. I started my boy who is now in Yr7 at DGS from age 9 doing the odd maths, VR & NVR here and there with no pressure at all. He enjoyed it as it was done in a relaxed manner. By the time, proper preparation started for himin Yr5, he was used to the idea and no pressure felt. Whatever you do make sure he has fun and enjoys it. For now, concentrate on mental maths, reading/simple comprehension, words and meaning, simple VR and NVR up to age 9. You can use BOND, LETTS etc. Please bear in mind that the exam provider will be changing soon for next year. So watch this forum.

Good luck.
vinitasurya

Re: Dartford Grammar

Post by vinitasurya »

Hello theonly1

Thanks for the tips! I'll watch out for the changes

Cheers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now