TGS-408?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
westkent

Re: TGS-408?

Post by westkent »

My daughter is in Year 9 and is thriving. It is bringing out every drop of potential, academic and otherwise, I think.

Her friend got in on 407 - which I think might have been the cut off that year - and she is top of the class! Anecdotal, I know, but it happens.

Her other friend is dyslexic and is very well supported with one to one help regularly.

The school have always helped when called upon. No problem getting hold of the right people and I have always felt they were committed to her well being above all else.

I met a teacher who had taught there until recently. She had left to go into the private sector. She told me she only realised what a great school it was once she had left!

I do agree that the fund raising can be rammed down ones throat abit but I understand that goes for many secondary schools.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

I thoroughly disagree with everything e2k has said. My daughter is also in Year 9, loves it and is thriving way beyond our expectations.

Reports come in 1 or 2 progress reports (depending on school year) and a full report. Yes, progress reports are more on attitude but also give targets for current and end of year. The full report is 2-3 pages in length. The very first year 7 progress report is early and quite sparce as they haven't had them long enough to assess them on targets, etc.

I have contacted a few school teachers and always had responses.

My daughter's friend got in on appeal for in area and the competition is actually encouraging her to better her maths set. Extra support/additional time for tests, etc is given where needed.

I'm not aware of any bullying in my daughter's class but I would be surpised if none exists whatsoever as I think every school has one. I know one girl who swapped classes to be with more friends of her geographic area, I think was the reason, so they are supportive.

They work hard but also play hard with years 7 and 8 doing extra curricular activities on Wednesday afternoons (such as pottery painting, etc). Older girls do DofE, volunteering.

My daughter has been on the skiing trip and is doing a latin trip to Italy later in the year. They also have whole year camping trips for year 7 and 9 where they can do outdoor activities without 'gadgets', etc to distraction them.

I can't praise the school enough really. Compared to where she could have been, we are delighted with her progress which is about encouragement to meet their potential rather than pushing, in my opinion.
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

franticmum wrote:I thoroughly disagree with everything e2k has said. My daughter is also in Year 9, loves it and is thriving way beyond our expectations.

Reports come in 1 or 2 progress reports (depending on school year) and a full report. Yes, progress reports are more on attitude but also give targets for current and end of year. The full report is 2-3 pages in length. The very first year 7 progress report is early and quite sparce as they haven't had them long enough to assess them on targets, etc.

I have contacted a few school teachers and always had responses.

My daughter's friend got in on appeal for in area and the competition is actually encouraging her to better her maths set. Extra support/additional time for tests, etc is given where needed.

I'm not aware of any bullying in my daughter's class but I would be surpised if none exists whatsoever as I think every school has one. I know one girl who swapped classes to be with more friends of her geographic area, I think was the reason, so they are supportive.

They work hard but also play hard with years 7 and 8 doing extra curricular activities on Wednesday afternoons (such as pottery painting, etc). Older girls do DofE, volunteering.

My daughter has been on the skiing trip and is doing a latin trip to Italy later in the year. They also have whole year camping trips for year 7 and 9 where they can do outdoor activities without 'gadgets', etc to distraction them.

I can't praise the school enough really. Compared to where she could have been, we are delighted with her progress which is about encouragement to meet their potential rather than pushing, in my opinion.
I speak as I find.

As for the skiing trip, My husband works in care home so low income. We applied for pitchford fund for camping trip and skiing trip - was ignored for both then chased, then called then went in! and was told - no sorry.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

We are all speaking as we find - which is good that we are not going on hearsay and getting the wrong idea. It annoys me when it is a third party view as you don't know the full picture.

I'm sorry you are unsuccessful e2k in your trips. I was not in any way trying to brag, boast, or whatever, merely pointing out that there are the opportunities out there. Sorry if offended.

FM
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes e2k I can see that trips that are not low budget can be a disappointment to many families and place children in an unfair situation. But what about the other things where there are such big differences between people's experiences? Are you year 7 currently and therefore the economical report?

Schools are only obliged to report once a year I think.
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

mystery wrote:Yes e2k I can see that trips that are not low budget can be a disappointment to many families and place children in an unfair situation. But what about the other things where there are such big differences between people's experiences? Are you year 7 currently and therefore the economical report?

Schools are only obliged to report once a year I think.
I have a year 7 and 9 - in my mind its got worse. The mixed classrooms didnt help in my view and my DDs
mystery

Post by mystery »

What got worse? And what is a mixed classroom?
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

mystery wrote:What got worse? And what is a mixed classroom?
Because of being made to take more year 7's last year they have split the form rooms (or in TOGS speak Learning communities) into approx 8-9 girls from Years 7, 8 and 9. So its a mixed form - sorry learning community.

My Year 9 was not impressed. Year 7 knows no different.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Vertical tutoring .... I am not a fan of that either. Do you feel it has had any disadvantages?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We have VTGs at my ds1s GS. It is only for tutor time, however, the rest of the time they are taught in form year groups (i.e. a classroom of all Y8s etc). In Y7, they are registered in Y7 classes with a dedicated Y7 tutor for each class, to ease them into the school life. In Y8 they are split into VTG which are "house" groups. So each form has a few boys from each year 8-6th Form, all of whom are in the same school house. I thought my asd boy would be overwhelmed, but it has been superb as he now has older boys acknowledging him through the school day, they act as informal mentors, they help out if they think a younger boy is struggling, they have been known to "have a word" and they do charity things in their VTG. There is an upside to them - but they are not taught in VTG.