Freedom Pass changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
T12ACY

Re: Freedom Pass changes

Post by T12ACY »

womanofkent wrote:OK For clarity

I started this thread, silly old me, just to advise other parents that KCC had decided to look at the possibility of restricting the FREEDOM PASS (not free journeys to school). My understanding is that if the changes are made it will come into effect from September 2014.

My intention was that if parents felt this was the right or wrong thing to cut back on they could make their feelings known to KCC.

Plus with EVERYBODY having to make choices where they spend their money as a result of pay frozen for the last 5 years, increase in pension contributions, unemployment or whatever they are informed that they MAY be required to contribute more than they have done so far and need to budget accordingly.

It was meant as an information thread. Councils provide a lot of services that by law they don't have to BUT the Standing Orders state that they must consult if they decide to withdraw those services; you would be surprised what they could charge you for and cut back on.

I hope that clarifies why the thread was started.
I did let KCC know my views on their proposed budget changes via their survey, which I believe has now closed. This asked what was more important to me: Keeping a vulnerable child safe / providing support to an elderly person in their own home / gritting of our roads / the existing subsidised travel to all DC via the 'FREEDOM PASS' to name a few. My own view is that the Freedom Pass came last against all other suggestions for consideration. It has been a benefit available to all but because of it's success it can no longer be offered at the current level, it's basic economics!

Personally I do not believe KCC should offer this travel, even at a charge of £100 per year, without restriction across the County any longer because of the cost to the LA, but consider the revised offer still good value and the introduction of 16+ a welcome change. Ultimately why should I, as a tax payer, contribute further to the cost of travel for those who made the choice to send their child to a school they selected over and above the closest school. There is a budget available, it is shared among those who apply. If 500 apply they could get unlimited travel, if 5,000 apply it's obvious that pot of money no longer covers the demand and it has to become restricted so everyone is equally able to benefit in some way or Council Tax has to rise hugely to cover this. No surprise that on consultation few will have been willing to pay more for this 'benefit'.

Free home to school transport eligibility is an entirely different matter and this of course is legislation so must remain.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I agree with you. It is a harsh and undesirable truth, but correct.

The previous open cheque freedom pass offer is quite staggering the more i think
doodles

Post by doodles »

Like most things in Kent it seems to be a right old mish mash that needs sorting out so all families are on the same footing.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I've always wondered how the the (existing) Freedom Pass works. Do KCC pay the bus companies £x per year per Freedom Pass, or do they get reimbursed per journey taken?
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

But I think all families are on the same footing, aren't they? The pass is open to all DC of secondary school age and everyone can have the same subsidy, relevant to age groups when the 16+ pass comes in. In fact I think it's one of the fairest schemes I've come across as we're usually not eligible for anything since we are deemed 'too well off'...... we aren't but we do not qualify for any benefits usually :roll:

There is a concession for a free pass allocated to those in care, leaving care or young carers and a reduced to £50 pass for those who are in receipt of free school meals. Perhaps that is where you felt there was some imbalance doodles?

I do agree Kent seem to have varying levels of agreements when it comes to free home to school transport, and it seems to depend who is looking at your claim for this as to your chances of success, but as far as I am aware the Freedom Pass is very definitely available equally to all?
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

pheasantchick wrote:I've always wondered how the the (existing) Freedom Pass works. Do KCC pay the bus companies £x per year per Freedom Pass, or do they get reimbursed per journey taken?
It can only be that the bus company receives a lump sum annual payment for each pass in issue as from what I am aware DS only ever waved the pass at the driver and was never expected to scan it for a ticket or anything. This may have changed in more recent years as we've not had one for 2 years.

Could be wrong of course :D
;kysiesmum

Post by ;kysiesmum »

One thing people aren't taking into account...the times when children go to and from school there are no child fares! So the £350 will have to pay ADULT fares for 38 weeks!!...and that children in non selective schools will be affected too. I used to live in a village where our nearest secondary school was over 3 miles away by road but only 2 1/2 if the children used a dirt footpath over fields and hills so KCC decided that the children weren't entitled to free buses but to pay to go by bus it was £5 a day or a weekly ticket was £15 (£570 for 38 weeks) and the prices have increased since then. So I'm sure there will be a few families who, at the end of the school year, will not be able to afford to send their children to school.
doodles

Post by doodles »

T12ACY wrote:There is a concession for a free pass allocated to those in care, leaving care or young carers and a reduced to £50 pass for those who are in receipt of free school meals. Perhaps that is where you felt there was some imbalance doodles?
I am worried for the children who receive the £50 pass / those whose parents are on a low income but still pay £100; if their parents can't afford the top up once the credit is exhausted, what will happen? Realistically this change could impact on the education choices that some parents make for their children as some just won't be able to afford the additional costs. As much as I don't relish having to find the extra monthly amount next academic year (if it goes ahead) we will manage but some people just can't tighten their belts any further - this is a diverse county and not everybody is well off.

Surely some provision has to be made for this, perhaps more credit could be added to the £50 passes to ensure that a whole school year is covered. A start would be to make the FP available for use only during the school term time - how much would that save KCC?

Don't know the answer but it does worry me that people may have to choose a school on distance/travel rather than academic suitablility.
mystery

Post by mystery »

This is where this thread lacks clarity. People who received free home to school transport under the old policy still receive it don't they? But yes, children starting under the new policy are only entitled to free transport to their closest school. This will affect people's choices. People have been having to make choices based on economics for years though. If you lived near a rubbish non selective and wanted to attend a more distant better non selective you would always have had to pay for te transport.
doodles

Post by doodles »

mystery wrote: If you lived near a rubbish non selective and wanted to attend a more distant better non selective you would always have had to pay for te transport.
True, but £50 or £100 was possibly manageable / worth considering; we now could be talking about substantially more than that for some. Plus some will have already made the decision based on being able to afford a FP but are going to struggle to meet the extra costs when the system changes.

As I said Mystery, I don't know the answer but it would be nice if KCC could "add some meat to the bones" and provide the answers to some of these concerns. Surely they have considered them :? :shock: :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now