is this fair or legal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
guests

Post by guests »

Hello Katel and guest

Yes you are both right, out of area children do have the same pass rate, but generally (maybe this year aside) do have to score more highly to achieve a place at TGS than in area children. That is the risk the child/parents take when applying. However, some out of county children do get in with lower scores by going through the appeal process and sitting tight on a waiting list. As it is made clear in the admissions process, most parents are happy to go through this system as it gives them the opportunity to try for a school which they otherwise would not qualify because they do not live in county.
guest00

Post by guest00 »

Perplexed

In your original post you say that you are selecting a primary school for your children. May I ask how old they are? If they are only just going into primary school you still have another 7 years to worry about 11+ and god knows how things will change by then.

Surely your children will be better off going to the best school you can get them into rather then worrying about them sitting four tests in one day.
katel

Post by katel »

And if you're really lucky, the powers that be will have abolished the whole divisive, inequitable and stress inducing system by the time your children reach secondary school age!

,<hastily ducks head below the parapet>
guest00

Post by guest00 »

katel

well said!!
perplexed

7 years to go

Post by perplexed »

I agree with you Guest00 that I am looking so far ahead and anything could change during that time ( daughters due to go into reception in 2008 and 2010). But I'm that kind of person. And that is why it occurred to me that it would be a shame to find a school out of Kent county, and better than my local one, only then to regret it when my children reach Year 6 if the test conditions are less favourable than in a Kent primary.

The test conditions are currently different, but I do not know if they are less favourable. If they are, it would be a shame, particularly as I'm hoping for TOGS!! No I have not decided on their marriage partners or careers yet. And if Oxted School's admission policy were different for people living in my area of Kent, I would be equally happy for them to go to this currently good Surrey comprehensive.

However, if I had to place a bet on much changing in the next 7 to 9 years as regards the 11+ and grammars in Kent, the only ones I would bet on are some changes to the papers themselves, and the timing of the sittings. I do not see Kent grammar schools in Kent disappearing.

So this is why I want to make my primary school choice based on full information about the pros and cons of sitting the test over two days versus one day.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Perplexed,

Having read your last post my jaw dropped to the floor.

We had a year (years 5-6) of being told that our child would in their words 'Breeze through the exam'
This didn’t happen .. This was by no means an 'average' child with disillusioned parent’s who were just to pushy, quite the contrary, I was always appose selective education.
When she received the results devastated cannot even begin to describe the following few days.

My point being, my child was in the final years of primary school with results and years of consistent high grades behind her and this was enough to bare.
I cannot begin to imagine how a child would feel not passing the exam after being groomed for the 11plus even before they started primary school.
For a parent to be worrying about the 11 plus a whole year before they start reception is ludicrous!
Do you not realise that during the 7 years your children attends primary school many things change, diagnosis are made, schools can drop in there performance, different teachers, maybe even having to change school.
Please enjoy your children while there little.
We all want the best for our children and I’m no exception but let them be just that for now.

I’m so sorry if I sound hard, I really don’t mean to be I was just shocked by your post.

AM
katel

Post by katel »

So far it's just usr, 2000x. But the movement will grow......

Post by Guest »

I thought it was crazy as well! Go and enjoy your children and hope for their happiness! You ought to be playing with them - not on here worrying about this!
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

ah well. out of area score lower than in area this year. so that gets rid of 1st argument.
2nd argument about more days for the exam is fascinatinI was so upset about the unfair advantage given to out of cathment/ private school candidates.

So two sides to every story!
katel

Post by katel »

I REALLY don't think there's any difference AT ALL between out of area scores and catchment area scores! The only difference is that to get into one of the super-selectives you need to get higher scores because they take the top scoring candidates - and if two children have the same scores then they go by proximity, so in these circumstances alone an out of area candidate would have to score higher than a catchment area child. Apart for that, this year to pass the Kent test and be eligible for a grammar school place if there was one available a child needed 120, 120 ,115 whether they lived in Kent or in the Outer Hebrides.

whispers..<and the results from the super-selectives aren't that much better than the ordinary grammar schools, so I personally wouldn't stress about getting into one of them!>
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now