The Judd confirm they will use own entrance exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DaddyOh

The Judd confirm they will use own entrance exam

Post by DaddyOh »

Looks like The Judd will have it's own test after this year (there's an excerpt on another forum that appears to confirm it).

Not what KCC wanted I guess. Can't help thinking it's making it harder for the children with several different test to take.

DaddyOh
Kentishmaid

Re: The Judd confirm they will use own entrance exam

Post by Kentishmaid »

Fascinating - I wonder if it will be similar to the St Olaves test? With Folkestone and Dover having their own tests already, I suspect the Kent test is doomed - Skinners will doubtless follow Judd.

Very unfair on the children. Do you have a link to the info?

KentishMaid
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

You'd think they'd wait to see what this year's results brought in. In fact, I thought that was why they didn't introduce their own test this year.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
DaddyOh

Post by DaddyOh »

FB - Perhaps they'll change their mind after they see the new test this year but it doesn't sound like it from the quote.

KM - not allowed to post a link here, pm if you want it.

DaddyOh
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I thought that Folkestone and Dover also admit on the strength of a Kent Test pass, or am I thinking of the wrong schools? Presumably the Judd Test is now going to be the only route in to a place there?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/index.phtml?d=96115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On the academic side we continue to prepare our own Judd Entrance Test for first use in September 2015 (for 2016 entry). This will be an exciting change, limiting the coachability (of the current entrance test) and allowing, in particular, for a creative writing element to be tested. In aligning our entrance test more closely with the daily practice in primary schools we are underlining that Judd is a school for students of all backgrounds. Academic ability across both English and Maths will be needed to gain entry (ie not just Maths) and special coaching should not be required. ... January 2014
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Mitasol. I would've thought it's quite an expense for Judd marking lots of creative writing scripts. Presumably, they will have a 2 stage test, like other super selective GS, where your script only gets marked if you pass stage 1. I wonder if they'll be on two different days ...
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am delighted to see another entrance exam (after CSSE) adding a creative writing element but they are mistaken if they think that creative writing happens daily in primary classrooms. I meet students who have not done any creative writing for a whole term. DG
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

It does worry me how and to what criteria they will mark their test. The cynic in me cant get over the thought of them 'hand picking' pupils.
I also think its unreasonable to put any 10 year old through yet another entrance exam as no doubt parents will still do 11+. The HT suggests it will cut back coaching. I beg to differ Mr Masters. :cry:
mystery

Post by mystery »

TBMum, I agree with you.

Perhaps they know what the new Kent test in 2014 is like and are not impressed - or perhaps they don't like the uncertainty about the Kent test for 2015 as the contract for the new test is for one year only.

Who knows.

I can't imagine it will make much difference to their results though. The teaching is way more important.