What do all the numbers mean?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
peter45

What do all the numbers mean?

Post by peter45 »

Our daughter finished primary school with 5's and all subjects. She is currently at Grammar school in year 7 and has been given targets. Could someone please tell me what they mean, eg green target in English 7b, blue target. We where not educated here and find it all a bit confusing. We are used to a scale of 1-7, 7 being the highest mark or A-E with A being the highest mark and E a failure. We are appealing for her to go to a different grammar school and I don't know if I should send her results with the appeal or not as we don't know if they are good enough for a SS grammar. Any help would be appreciated.
mystery

Re: What do all the numbers mean?

Post by mystery »

5c would be the national expectation in English and maths at the end of year 7. There is lots of info on national curriculum levels if you google. The colour coding needs the school to explain as that is their invention.
Soaksmum

Post by Soaksmum »

I have sent you a pm
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

No idea about the colours unless it is something to do with 'expected level according to KS2 results' / 'expected level according to current performance' etc. The 7b sounds like the target for the end of KS3, assuming that your DD achieved a 5b at the end of KS2? KS3 targets are usually '+2'. The school should really explain their system, though - have the teachers said anything to your DD? You could also have a look through her planner as this kind of thing is sometimes explained there.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
peter45

Post by peter45 »

Thank you all. Can I make the assumption given she received all 5 at end of KS2 we could expect her to achieve 7 at the end of KS3 which would be A-A*? It appreciate it doesn't translate literally but we could use this as a guide.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Has the ss grammar asked you to sit a test of their choosing? I would expect them to?

I think that satisfactory progress during ks3 would turn a level 5 at ks2 into a b or higher at gcse. Many schools hope for and manage more than this.

I think that to swing an ss appeal you are going to have to have more up your sleeve than level 5 at ks2. A big percentage get level 5.

What levels is she working at now?

How far off was she in the kent test?

Do you have an ed psych assessment?
peter45

Post by peter45 »

Our daughter passed the kent test with a result well into the 400s. She is a member of mensa, a member of the council, achieves will in music and drama (all certified) she is currently at Grammar but is wanting to change schools. I am trying to find out if what her current tracking is would be high enough for SS.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It sounds very positive. Did her score take her above the ss cut off that year? Have you asked etienne what she thinks would make good evidence in this particular situation? It could be unfair to compare nc levels if they push on higher faster at the ss than at the 'ordinary' grammar.

Has the school suggested a test?
peter45

Post by peter45 »

no test for ss and score 10 points over cut off. I just can't wait until Monday when I can drop off the paperwork and it is essentially out of our hands. We just need to attend to appeal the following week, wait 5 days until we get a decision.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I wish you luck and hope it all happens. Is your bigger issue fighting over-subscription - your academic case sounds pretty clear cut does it not?