Trinity school sevenoaks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doctorb

Re: Trinity school sevenoaks

Post by doctorb »

I think there is a general misunderstanding about the importance of first preference on admissions forms, it has been explained to me that the main determination of place allocation is distance from the school. If you appear in the catchment area for two schools which both have places the order of preference is taken into consideration. If you put a local school as fourth choice and three distant schools as choice 1-3 you will get your fourth choice even if choice 1 has space. Hence, why there is so much movement when schools take over control of their admissions.

I believe that both Knole and Trinity are over subscribed this year, also Skinners Kent Academy has done well, it is the same schools that are struggling eg. Hextable and Orchards

If someone got Knole who put Trinity they must have also put Knole on their form and therefore I presume it was not a "nightmare" for them.
tubmcff

Post by tubmcff »

I put Knole first and haven't been given it. I have been told I am on a long waiting list. I have put in an appeal. I looked at Trinity - but Knole have much better facilities and loved the atmosphere.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Hi, I don't think that is quite right or I have misunderstood you. If there is space at your first choice school for you you will get it irrespective of the fact that you might have closer schools with spaces further down your preference list e.g. In 2nd or 3rd place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mystery wrote:Hi, I don't think that is quite right or I have misunderstood you. If there is space at your first choice school for you you will get it irrespective of the fact that you might have closer schools with spaces further down your preference list e.g. In 2nd or 3rd place.
Applicants for places at all schools are ranked by the school (or LA on their behalf) according to the school's published criteria.

So, if your first preference school is twenty miles away but allocates primarily on the number of cats you own and your vet signs the school's SIF to confirm that you have twelve and that puts you at the top of that school's ranked list, you will get the place at the cat school on March 1st even if all your lower preference schools allocate on distance and you are 100m away from each and at the top of their ranked lists, too.

(Obviously, it is not very likely that it is cats, or a vet the person who needs to confirm anything to do with your application to a particular school, but you know what I mean :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I agree. Doctor B is confused I think.

What distance did Knole admit to this year? Or does it have a more complicated admission policy than that with certain areas getting priority? Where do the people live who did not get in>
doodles

Post by doodles »

tubmcff wrote:I put Knole first and haven't been given it. I have been told I am on a long waiting list. I have put in an appeal. I looked at Trinity - but Knole have much better facilities and loved the atmosphere.
How far away are you from the school, I know that traditionally people from quite a distance do list it on their CAF and it is certainly having some impressive building works done at the moment.

Doctorb, I have to agree with other posters that you list your preferences 1-4 and KCC work their way down your list and allocating you a place at the highest school on your list which has a place and for which you qualify.
Jonnyzap

Post by Jonnyzap »

Knole Academy, along with Skinners Kent Academy and Bennett is one of the 10 most over subscribed Kent schools. It is a shame that they can't just expand so that all of the children who want to go to them can get a place.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Knole academy could have an annex at the Knole east site maybe?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Knole Academy, along with Skinners Kent Academy and Bennett is one of the 10 most over subscribed Kent schools.
If you are going to quote statistics that are only available from one source who has carried out considerable analysis before choosing to publish them for the benefit of parents, it is a simple courtesy to acknowledge this. It is also a good idea to get the facts right. You appear to have omitted the grammar schools.
Jonnyzap

Post by Jonnyzap »

There are plenty of good schools that are not grammars. I thought that in the interest of balance it would be good if someone mentioned them occasionally. We all know that the grammars are likely to over subscribed - although it is interesting to see how many of them aren't - people will perhaps be more surprised to know that many of the non-selective schools are also popular and offer a good standard of education.