TGS - cut off scores are low - not super selective any more?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JJ123

Re: TGS - cut off scores are low - not super selective any m

Post by JJ123 »

Maddiebean wrote:JJ123 - yes that could well be a factor. Dh and I have differing opinions on IB :D

Is twggs score and catchment or just catchment? Yes Weald is an excellent school but as it doesn't require a high score to get in does that rule it out of a direct comparison as Tunbridge Wells boys (catchment not score) also exists to counterbalance on the boys side of the puzzle.

Perhaps more parents of girls are concerned about the pastoral side and lean to Weald because of that? Fwiw all the girls I know at TGS are very happy there. I have of one girl who felt the pressure for excellence was hard. Having said that, can't imagine it is all fluff and sunshine at Weald, the girls there must also work hard to get the fantastic results they get. Having said that I've heard that Skinners is better pastorally than Judd so that might wipe that argument out anyway!

I'm still not sure I fully understand why the boys scores have to be higher than the girls? Will it contribute to a general feeling that the boys schools are super selective whilst TGS is just selective? Not that it matters either way but I do think it is interesting.
The only way to find out definitively would be if there were sats to confirm scores for girls v boys. Not sure if they are out there. 11 plus has a maths bias which can suit boys more perhaps ? What is twellsboys av intake score ? i have no idea sorry ....

The marks do seem low this year, maybe just tougher test to prepare for the new one, but its really irevelavant its just how the cohort perform compared to each other in any given year.

Togs is a really great school i'm sure your daughter will love it. I hear all the time that Judd is a pressurised school but my son doesnt seem to think so in yr 10, in fact sometimes i wish someone would put a rocket up him :lol:
kent mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now