All mums of dyslexics at skinners and TWBG, help please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

charliemo

All mums of dyslexics at skinners and TWBG, help please

Post by charliemo »

My DS is on the waiting list for skinners with a score of 405 and is severely dyslexic. He surprised us all in how well he did in preparing for the 11+ as we had thought he probably wouldn't sit it as he struggled so much with his literacy. He is a very bright boy and I know as time goes on the dyslexia will become more manageable, but it would be really helpful to know of anyone who has experience of the learning support provision at skinners and how sympathetic they are. It would also be really useful to know this for an appeal if we go for that
salsa

Re: All mums of dyslexics at skinners and TWBG, help please

Post by salsa »

Hi
Was your child given extra time to do the test? I understand he should have. If not, I think you could put that on an appeal.
charliemo

Post by charliemo »

Yes he was given extra time fortunately, but thank you for thinking of it
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Hi Charliemo

I am not a parent with a son at either of these schools but we appealed for these schools a couple of years back and paid special attention to the SEN support provision at each school. I have a bright ,moderate-severely dyslexic dd so I have an idea of the situation that you are in. You would do well to contact the SENCO at each school to ask them specifically about dyslexia provision. It will depend obviously on what your ds needs in terms of support and both schools are very used to providing support for dyslexic boys . Please bear in mind that my information is a couple of years old now but at the time our preference was for Skinners due to great ,well thought out Sen provision and exceptional pastoral care.

Tigger
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now