Waitlists?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
parisandelle

Waitlists?

Post by parisandelle »

Hello, we live OCC and our son took the 11+ last September. He got full marks on the VR and NVR, but only got a 122 on the Maths (which he said was the easiest!). He did very well considering he had little time to prepare as we had only moved to the part of Sussex we live in now a few months before the test and had never heard of the 11+.

Anyhow, I have logged into my account with East Sussex CC and he has not been offered a place at either Judd or Skinners. Are we still eligible to go on the waitlist in hopes that a place may become available?

Funny enough, he has been offered a place at Tonbridge School for 2016. We are just trying to keep our options open as he really liked Skinners.

We do not plan to appeal. I just want to know if we are at the end of the road with a place not being offered.
MadHatter

Re: Waitlists?

Post by MadHatter »

Commiserations to your son but great that you have a back-up plan. Whether or not you stand a chance from the wait list depends on how far you are from the cut off and this forum should give you a pretty good indication within the next day or so as people share their results and allocations. Your son's score would have been too low in previous years (I think) but scores do seem to be lower this year so I wouldn't give up hope yet for Skinners - and you have nothing to lose by going on the wait list.
Best of luck!

Have any other East Sussex parents out there received their allocations yet? Would be great to get a heads up on cut offs for Judd/Skinners to put us out of our misery while KCC keeps us on tenterhooks.
parisandelle

Post by parisandelle »

Thanks for the reply.

I just received the official e-mail telling me what school has been allocated. So, two hours before the official time quoted.

So we can apply for the wait list even if our son's score isn't as high as hoped, great. Will give it a shot.

Thanks!
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

Can anybody please tell me when do they announce the waiting list ?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My son got into judd a few years back from the waiting list, it's definitely worth applying for it. Basically, when all the places have been accepted or declined, Judd will offer a place to the next highest scorer after the initial cut off point. If they are two or more boys with the same score, they will take the nearest. We were the sixth waiting list place offered, and are about 12 miles away.

Why are you not considering an appeal?
parisandelle

Post by parisandelle »

pheasantchick wrote:My son got into judd a few years back from the waiting list, it's definitely worth applying for it. Basically, when all the places have been accepted or declined, Judd will offer a place to the next highest scorer after the initial cut off point. If they are two or more boys with the same score, they will take the nearest. We were the sixth waiting list place offered, and are about 12 miles away.

Why are you not considering an appeal?
Hi pheasantchick, I don't know that we really have a valid reason for appealing, though we have thought about it. There are loads of reasons to appeal, but we just don't seem to 'fit' with any of them. We live just outside of Kent, so the 11+ is not promoted. We only heard of the test as some of his fellow classmates at his new school were taking it. We actually only made the cut-off to register for the test upon learning of it!

My son was a little sad when I told him this afternoon he wasn't offered a place as he loves Skinners. It does niggle me a bit that he has already been offered a place at Tonbridge School (my son thought the test there was much, much harder), but not at Skinners. However, we accept he did not score as high as others - had he had more time we may have had a different outcome. I will wait to see what the cut-off is. If we are nearer than I expect, an appeal may be in order.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Hi there, if my maths are correct your DS did brilliantly and got 404 with very little prep?

If you look at the results coming in over on the Kent section there's a report of a 407 being offered Skinners' - so hang on in there. Good luck.
parisandelle

Post by parisandelle »

doodles wrote:Hi there, if my maths are correct your DS did brilliantly and got 404 with very little prep?

If you look at the results coming in over on the Kent section there's a report of a 407 being offered Skinners' - so hang on in there. Good luck.
Thanks Doodles, yes a 404 with no preparation as there was just no time until the last two weeks of August (he has a sport commitment that takes him away Fri - Sun). His headmaster told us his score was brilliant, but we didn't see it at the time. Out of his classmates who also took the test only one other boy scored higher (417) and he had been studying for two years prior and has an older brother at Skinners. Watch this space!
lefol

Post by lefol »

I tried to post a response earlier but it disappeared ! Very well done to your ds. Please , please add him to the waiting list as I am confident he will get in with such a good score. I am sure the lists will move around with parents accepting indie places etc . Let us know how you get on .
parisandelle

Post by parisandelle »

lefol wrote:I tried to post a response earlier but it disappeared ! Very well done to your ds. Please , please add him to the waiting list as I am confident he will get in with such a good score. I am sure the lists will move around with parents accepting indie places etc . Let us know how you get on .
Thanks! 406 was the cutoff for Skinners so we are not far off! However, we are in Sussex and wonder if we realistically stand a chance living near Mayfield?

Does anyone know who I need to contact to be added to the wait list? We had to apply via East Sussex County Council. Do I contact KCC to be added to the wait list or ESCC?