Planning application for grammar and free school in sevenoak

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Planning application for grammar and free school in sevenoak

Post by mystery »

It is on the KCC online planning portal (not Sevenoaks district council). The reference is KCC/SE/0375/2013

The comments period is still open.

It fails to mention that no permission has been given to Invicata or Weald of Kent to expand in that way. It makes it sound as though one of those two schools could be using the annex building by September 2015. It makes it sound as though the DfE is working in partnership with KCC to bring an annexe to Sevenoaks.

It is a bit misleading. Surely tax payers money cannot be spent building an empty school "annex" which no grammar may ever be permitted to expand into?
bristols

Re: Planning application for grammar and free school in seve

Post by bristols »

Maybe, perish the thought, KCC have access to slightly more information than you do and are proceeding accordingly.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It was submitted after both the proposals were turned down by dfe. It is an out of date document that has been submitted unamended for planning approval. Invicta is definitely out of the frame.

Bluff.
daddylonglegs

Post by daddylonglegs »

Thanks for posting the reference to this planning application Mystery. I haven't looked through all the documents, but I see it as a positive step in the bid to provide extra secondary school places in Sevenoaks. I assume that if planning permission is granted, then construction of the new Trinity School building will go ahead quite quickly. I don't think they would start construction of the grammar annexe unless they get dfe approval....not sure if anything is happening behind the scenes with that....I agree the Invicta proposal looks to have pretty much been ruled out, but the door seemed to be left ajar for a new Weald of Kent proposal, though it may mean they would need to go fully coed on both sites. If planning approval is granted, then I don't think construction of the new grammar annexe building would need to start straight away.....I think that the approval would remain in place for a number of years, by which time hopefully a way forward to the annexe will have been agreed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It would surely be strange to give planning permission for a school building to hold an unapproved expansion. If granted permission I think it would give KCC the legal right to build a building that might never be used. The application document is out of date as it makes no reference to the expansion application having been turned down.

It talks about it being possible for both buildings to be ready and occupied by September 2015. This would not be possible for the grammar annex unless Weald goes co-ed very quickly, or it becomes the expansion plan for two separate schools - would have to be Weald and Tunbridge Wells Boys for various reasons.

The Weald admission policy for 2015 entry is now out for consultation. It does not say it is going co-ed.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I vaguely remember that today was the determination date. Any news out there?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Looking like a week "overdue" now - anyone know why?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Anyone know why there is no decision mentioned yet on the online planning system? Has it been discussed at planning committee yet and if not, why not? The estimated decision date still shows as 17 March 2014 but there seems to be silence all round. At the Dunton Green hotel presentation of the plans last September the information given to parents was that planning permission would be sought during the Autumn of 2013, building would start early 2014, and the Trinity free school would move from its temporary office accommodation in September 2015 after two years in the office block.

Planning permission appears not to have been given yet and building has not yet started. Is there still time for the new Trinity building to be ready for September 2015 if permission is granted soon? If it can't be ready can they continue in the office block for a third year? Is there space at that office block for three years?

Does anyone know what the free school is planning for September 2015? Parents and children of the current year 5 will be doing their thinking for that year at the moment and current parents at Trinity must be looking forward to news on the new building. Anyone know? Another education site seems to suggest that Trinity will move to its new site in September 2016. Is that date correct or is it a typo? The school website says in the "facilities" section that it will move to its new location in September 2015.
whichwaytogo

Post by whichwaytogo »

When I looked around Trinity there was only one year there. I have to say I think two will be a squeeze and three - no way. I can't imagine that their new building could be ready for Sept 2015, that just doesn't seem possible given the time left. We have a talk at our primary school from the head teacher soon, so I will report back on any updates!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh great. Maybe he'll visit our school too? I presume this is aimed at year 5 parents?

Can't they hire more space within those office blocks?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now