News on planning application for Sevenoaks grammar annex etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: News on planning application for Sevenoaks grammar annex

Post by mystery »

Watch out that you are not spotted with your binoculars in the bushes, Chimera-ma!

It's quite interesting that Sarah Shilling's tweets have turned into a campaign against the Conservative leadership and against faith schools.

Still really very unsure what to make of it all, other than that my gut feeling that a grammar annex or new grammar in Sevenoaks would never come to pass seems to be coming to fruition.

I wonder if, once the election is over, maybe central government, whatever and whoever it turns out to be, will be free to allow the EFA to tell them all to get a move on with the Trinity building?
doodles

Post by doodles »

This whole question of a GS in Sevenoaks is like a volcano really; every so often there's a little eruption and then it all becomes dormant again.

This has been happening on and off since Adam was a boy and I was a young girl (and believe me I feel older than Adam today :lol: )

From what I understand Trinity will definitely be on the Wilderness site from this September. I suppose, as they are two entirely separate schools, they can go ahead with building Trinity without starting the GS, probably a more expensive way of doing it but when has that ever bothered the powers that be.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh yes, it will definitely be in temporary classrooms on the Wildernesse site this September. But is there a contract for the new school to be built without the grammar and what is hte timescale? I just find it odd that there's been no official announcement about the build --- everything has been very carefully worded so far as I can detect to talk about the demolition but not really mention the build. I'm sure it will ultimately happen, but how long in temporary classrooms?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

mystery wrote:Watch out that you are not spotted with your binoculars in the bushes, Chimera-ma!

It's quite interesting that Sarah Shilling's tweets have turned into a campaign against the Conservative leadership and against faith schools.

Still really very unsure what to make of it all, other than that my gut feeling that a grammar annex or new grammar in Sevenoaks would never come to pass seems to be coming to fruition.

I wonder if, once the election is over, maybe central government, whatever and whoever it turns out to be, will be free to allow the EFA to tell them all to get a move on with the Trinity building?
Michael Fallon's campaign brochure came through the letterbox today. He states: "I want the law changed to allow us to build on the Wildernesse site in Sevenoaks."

Sounds like the answer on the current WOK annexe proposal, even if the Tories form a new government, will be a "no" then - on legal grounds. Perhaps Trinity will make a move in the meantime for a 6FE school?

I don't think there will be any news about Trinity going solo with the Wildernesse build until after the election. The work onsite still counts as "groundworks" or whatever the original sign-off was for.

Rest assured though, Mystery, that it's certainly very noisy with building site activity even on Saturday mornings. I'll let you know if it comes to a standstill... I'll get a better view through those binoculars too when the dust settles. :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's taking longer to demolish that rubbish old school than it must have taken to build it.

Do tell us when you see a school emerging from the dust. That will be reassuring.

Do you think, from his own local version of the Conservative manifesto, that Mr Fallon is hoping for the law to be changed in Sevenoaks and nowhere else?

I feel an online petition in the making! :?
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Perhaps Mr Fallon is hoping for the Education portfolio - or Justice?

My car just about emerges from the dust each morning, so I'll be happy to see the cement trucks arriving.
mystery

Post by mystery »

chimera-ma wrote:Perhaps Mr Fallon is hoping for the Education portfolio - or Justice?

My car just about emerges from the dust each morning, so I'll be happy to see the cement trucks arriving.
:lol:

But not environment or health! From what you describe, if I were local to that demolition at the moment I'd be more impressed with a manifesto promise of an air filter for my house and car and breathing apparatus for the dog walk.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Well, I'm hoping that there is no asbestos as part of the mix. A bit of rain on the weekend should help.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mmm ---- I'd be collecting regular samples for analysis if I were you - of the dust I mean! That bit was, hopefully, done ages back before this big job which is clearly shaking everything around.

Perhaps Mr Fallon should put vacuuming in his manifesto too.
doodles

Post by doodles »

He's too busy being important!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now