News on planning application for Sevenoaks grammar annex etc

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

chimera-ma

Re: News on planning application for Sevenoaks grammar annex

Post by chimera-ma »

I'm not sure we have an outcome yet. The link is to the reports which were tabled at yesterday's Planning Application Committee meeting - unless I'm missing something (quite possible!)

It was really useful to read the Case Manager's report and the reasoning behind her recommendation that the proposal be approved, however.

Para 122 deals with the conflict of interest objection, ie, KCC's entitlement to rule on its own proposal: there is specific regulatory provision and it is common practice across local authorities.

Para 123 confirms that planning authority is separate from, and not contingent upon, whether the grammar annexe proposal is approved by the Department of Education.

Going back to earlier discussion within this thread re: KCC's anticipated timescales, the final sentence of para 26 reads:

'The applicant [KCC ] further advises that the Grammar Annexe and the
Free School would not be a[sic] capacity until September 2018 at the
earliest.'

How in earth could both schools be at capacity by 2018?
mystery

Post by mystery »

The trinity website says the free school pLan was approved so I was assuming the grammar annexe too as it all seemed to be yes or no to the whole thing rather than two applications.

The agenda papers make it look a little complicated and as though referral to a higher level is needed one the kent planning authority has said yes.

I don't understand the technicalities but had the impression that it although the planning authority says yes that does not necessarily mean that what the applicant wishes to do is lawful in every aspect - just that it satisfies planning requirements.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

Well spotted re: the Trinity School tweet.

I agree it's unlikely that only the Trinity building was approved given both schools were part of the same planning application, but why silence from every quarter re: the grammar annexe? I checked the Sevenoaks Chronicle website this morning as the paper had recently reported the planning decision being expected this week, but still nothing there.

In respect of sign off by the Secretary of State (Recommendations, para 125), that appears to relate to para 65 and the Green Belt considerations needing referral to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government - still Eric Pickles?
mystery

Post by mystery »

My gut tells me it is not straightforward and the silence makes me feel this more! There was another reference in that paper to going to the minister or dept for communities and local govmt I thought on another technical point. It was something that Knole and some other local reps had raised. Sorry I read it v. Fast and don't have time to look now.

There was a chronicle article last autumn which said how long it would take to build a school. If t was correct time is getting tight.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

So the new plan is to create Sevenoaks Grammar as two sub schools - girls run by Weald, Boys by another, both with one Governing body. Lawful, in line with Gove's requirements or another shot in the dark ?

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/n ... ent-18712/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kent mum
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Something was mentioned on South East news a few minutes ago about new talks regarding the grammar proposals.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I wonder if these are real talks or more about that letter from ed knowle which was in the planning permission documentation being a hint that there were more talks.

If there are more talks why are they such a secret? And why are all these talks necessary? Any academy can just come up with a good plan to expand. They don't need to have secret and protracted talks with the local authority as they have nothing much to do with the local authority.

There was a chronicle article a while back which listed some possible ways forward. I suppose they could be hinting they are trying one of these ... Includes single sex annex and a boys and girls school sharing.

I suppose if they very slowly try each of these one at a time it will keep the whole sevenoaks annex question open for a few more years and at the same time confuse things for the grammar academies that could just get on with a very straight forward expansion if they needed to.

Are any of the west kent grammars still local authority controlled or have they all taken up academy status now?

Just when you are wanting to know things for caf this autumn e,g. When will new free school building be ready, what will chances at the various grammars be, up pops the never ending sevenoaks grammar question.

Fingers crossed for a place at togs, skinners or judd to be safe in the knowledge that you don't have teachers travelling up and down the a21 and no possibility that your child's educational location might shift between sevenoaks and tonbridge, no possibility that your child's school will be a building site and no possibility that your child's school will be suffering financially from surplus places.

It shouldn't just be Knole academy worrying about the sevenoaks question. They come across as the only school to think things through at the moment in all that planning bumph.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

I agree entirely Mystery.

To my knowledge Judd are not an academy. But they have always made it very clear they don't want to get involved in the Sevenoaks Grammar, although anything can change i guess.

As a Weald Parent i am very concerned at the impact on WOK but, just like last time, we'll just have to wait and see. I guess with the right organisation and funding it could work but teachers back and forth on A21 seems poor use of resources and finances.

Lots of hurdles to cross first and if there is no boys school willing to get involved (there was no one else in the frame other than Invicta i believe, a girls school) then they are no further forward.

WOk parents have not been advised of any new developments.
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is anyone at Weald aware of the further speculation that they may be having discussions again about expanding into sevenoaks?
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Letter sent to WOK parents today saying KCC have asked WOK to consider opening a 3 form satellite school just for girls which they are considering. Nothing more.

They advise that KCC have given planning consent for Trinity and the Grammar. Building works completed by 2016
kent mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now