Familiarisation Booklet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarlett

Re: Familiarisation Booklet

Post by scarlett »

Yes, it is different but still similar to nvr then say, comprehension . I just meant if your child is ok with nvr in general then I'm sure will be ok with the spatial . But, what do I know ? If there's no material we will just have to go with it and remember that everyone is in the same boat.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Looking at the example it is just spotting a shape amongst a complex pattern.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes. But that type might not be in the exam and others will be. As we now only have approx 25 mins of nvr, including the new spatial reasoning, it is signalling that a reasonable proportion of the question types, for nvr at least, are not in the gl familiarisation papers or " how to do" books which gl currently sells.
Maddiebean

Post by Maddiebean »

It's going to be b'stard nets isn't it?! Dd hated those, don't know what DS will be like. DS will be a sept 2015 taker so will look forward to hearing what you lot have to say after September. Very odd year for your lot, being the guinea pigs. Hopefully (HA HA) this test will let the brightest pass rather than the most tutored.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I had to do spatial reasoning for an interview many moons ago, followed by being able to read a plan and convert to 3d concepts.

I am sure you have all googled to death, but this site shows the nearest concept to what I always considered t to be:

http://www.spatialreasoningtests.co.uk/spatial-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus looking at 2d plan form and selecting the right 3d picture, or vice versa. Eg a square with a diagonal cross is a square based pyramid, but more complex of course.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, that site does look good. Scary though. I've tried the practice test and when that clock gets ticking it panics me!
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

Any thoughts on how they will score the combined maths and English paper, especially when often DD's do better at English based tests and DS's do better at maths papers.., a tricky one :?

Do you think they will give an overall mark for the combined paper or that they will have to get a minimum score separately for each?

mystery

Post by mystery »

They say on the kcc website about the 11 plus how they will probably do it.
penguin

Post by penguin »

To help with spatial reasoning skills, use some different colored Lego bricks to form an approximate cuboid (with some bits sticking out and some taken away) and then think about and draw what a 2D front end elevation and side elevation and plan view of this would look like.
To progress, imagine the block is sliced through at a point (perpendicular first and then at an angle) and imagine what the plan if the new piece would look like.

I had an app that was quite good for spatial reasoning questions. It was unhelpfully deleted from my phone by my child. I'll re-find it and post
Kentishmaid

Post by Kentishmaid »

KCC haven't decided how it will be marked yet - whcih I think is appalling. They are waiting to see how the children do!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now