Familiarisation Booklet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Oblique

Re: Familiarisation Booklet

Post by Oblique »

It suddenly all seems very real. That example for the English does look like Close so that's another area we will need to work on.

I have been concerned that short tests would bunch up the spread of results and make it less easy to pick out the top 20%. The way around this would be to pack in lots of questions into the short time. The test is looking more and more like something from the land of CEM.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

scarlett wrote:It doesn't look too bad . Do they mean cloze for the first part of the English ? Just the spatial reasoning to work on. Dd was most excited as she thought I had somehow got hold of the real thing. She asked if it was from " that 11 plus website " if only !
Hi all, things are finally becoming a little clearer

Is anyone aware of any "Spatial Reasoning" resources or practice papers out there?

Ta :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Just having a coffee at Waterstones , Villagedad and then I'm going to hit the educational section. I shall let you know what I find !
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

scarlett wrote:Just having a coffee at Waterstones , Villagedad and then I'm going to hit the educational section. I shall let you know what I find !
Thank you scarlett enjoy the coffee :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Wow! You are quick off the starting blocks. I was just wondering which books would have things like that 2D example in them and you are already at Waterstones buying them all up. I'll have to go shopping out of county.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Villagedad wrote:
Is anyone aware of any "Spatial Reasoning" resources or practice papers out there?

Ta :)
Some of the Bond books actually have some quite good spatial reasoning questions in (hidden in the NVR ones) and nets will possibly come up. Had a quick look - not my area but looks very much more akin to the CEM type test to me, than the previous GL assessments.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Apart from the addition of spatial reasoning what makes you feel that? The other vr and nvr examples given are identical to current GL question types - but is this just in order not to reveal a new type at this point in time?

The English might be a bit different from the current GL English familiarisation papers but it's hard to tell from that document.

I'm finding the document a bit of a puzzle as I don't really know whether it's a hint that it's pretty much more of the same or a hint that it's going to be quite different.

Now we can no longer run a book on the date the familiarisation document will appear can we do one instead on whether the question types are going to be much different from the usual GL ones?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

mystery wrote:Apart from the addition of spatial reasoning what makes you feel that? The other vr and nvr examples given are identical to current GL question types - but is this just in order not to reveal a new type at this point in time?

The English might be a bit different from the current GL English familiarisation papers but it's hard to tell from that document.

I'm finding the document a bit of a puzzle as I don't really know whether it's a hint that it's pretty much more of the same or a hint that it's going to be quite different.

Now we can no longer run a book on the date the familiarisation document will appear can we do one instead on whether the question types are going to be much different from the usual GL ones?
Hi mystery
I think one of the biggest challenges in this year's exam that our DC's are going to have to contend with (and will have to have their wits about them) is the fragmentation of the exam into small pots of this and that with individual timed sections etc... :?

At least last year it was 3 straight exams for 3 subjects..

This year there's papers within papers, with bits and bobs of stuff all over the place and room for muddle and confusion. Let's hope they don't start marking answers in the wrong place :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'd wondered about marking things in the wrong place but then it's not that bad when you think about it. English and maths go together - the maths answers are on the answer sheet so that distinguishes it from the English section which is a b c d e.

Similarly for verbal and non-verbal.

It's a 20 minute stretch for verbal (instead of a 50 minute stretch) and the non-verbal is in 5 timed sections (as before but fewer sections). The English and maths are each 25 minute stretches (rather than 50 before).

It doesn't sound mixed up in the way I get the CEM perhaps is from posts on this website.

I am finding timing a challenge - but I don't know if the new papers will be more or less of a challenge in this respect.

Do you think the NVR and VR is just going to be same types as in the commercial GL packs on sale?
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I am finding timing a challenge - but I don't know if the new papers will be more or less of a challenge in this respect.

Do you think the NVR and VR is just going to be same types as in the commercial GL packs on sale?
I'm kinda hoping that they've specified 'spatial reasoning' as distinct from the nvr that they currently produce and so the vr/ nvr types ought to remain the same.

But that may be 'specious reasoning', of course. :wink:
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now