Weald and togs - class sizes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Weald and togs - class sizes

Post by mystery »

Thanks for that info.

Sorry if the term "vertical tutoring" was misleading. I didn't mean that teaching was done in mixed age groups - just the form tutor / teacher groups, whatever one calls them. This form tutor time is presumably a good time for making friends which I think is why some people think it might be harder to make friends if you are not with the full form / class of your own age for this time, but other people feel the opportunity to mix across the year groups is better for friendships etc etc. Pros and cons to everything.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Yes - at Wok the girls are allocated a form ( house colour) and go to every single lesson and have form time with them. This proceeds until year 9 where there is streaming for a couple of subjects.

The only exception being food and tech which are split in half classes in year 7. Personally this worked better for my DD who needed the security of a small close knit group of friends at the outset to alleviate the daunting prospect of secondary school.

Of the girls in year 7 i know at TOGS all have struggled with friendship groups and bonding compared to the ones at Weald. Albeit initially and this is just a snapshot of the ones i know. The teachers have been fed back this information though so who knows it might be changed ( did it just start this year ? i think so).
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Sorry Mystery, didn't mean to sound stroppy but just wanted to make that clear, as I recall a similar thread previously on learning communities.

Yes, this is the first year that learning communities have been introduced to the lower years. I believe that the 6th form have been done like this for a while but I'm not sure exactly how that is set up. It was brought in to assist the younger girls by having older ones to talk things through with. The room is divided into tables, all consisting of years 7-9. I believe they move them around a bit after a term or so, but they did that before this system to stop girls getting cliquey. I believe that is also the driving force for not teaching them all in house groups.