Any theories as to why there will be 10 mins practice for VR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

penguin

Any theories as to why there will be 10 mins practice for VR

Post by penguin »

this stuck out for me a bit. do you think it might be to support the tutor-proofing idea? so that children seeing it for the first time have a better chance to get to grips with it?
Daogroupie

Re: Any theories as to why there will be 10 mins practice fo

Post by Daogroupie »

This is fairly standard. It is to give the students who have never seen VR before a chance to do well. They have the chance to have a go of one of each type and then the answers are read out. This means that for the rest of the test they have a marked example of each type before them. This is how it works in our area in North London so I would imagine it is broadly the same in yours. DG
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah, thank you. I have asked that one before and still felt puzzled. The north London exams to which you refer, are they gl ones? And are the question types the usual gl ones? And why isn't there ten minutes of timed practice before the new kent nvr? Why is it timed before the vr but not the nvr?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I am talking about Dame Alice Owen's and the Watford Consortium which both use Moray House. They do 15 questions in 15 minutes, then stop and mark them. They then go on to do 100 questions in 45 minutes. Before they started doing this they used to have students who broke down overwhelmed by a paper full of questions they had never seen before. Some parents who subscribe to the theory that natural intelligence is all you need send their students in with no prior knowledge of VR. The 15 minutes has cut down the number of crying students but it still happens. A student I know had a girl in front of him last year who cried all the way through the DAO VR. Either overwhelmed by the paper or the environment or both. This is why I think mocks are so important. I don't know any student who has done mocks who had this type of problem in the actual exams. DG
penguin

Post by penguin »

Thanks DG and Mystery. I'm thinking we'll have approx 45 VR questions for the 20 mins test time stated.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Ah yes, I'd been wondering about that vast amount of practice time too. DAO's explanation makes sense ... and just as well as we've done nothing on spatial reasoning yet ... has anyone seen those shapes in other shapes anywhere else? I'm not coming up with anything in google ...

Oops sorry, perhaps that's NVR ...
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
ontarget

Post by ontarget »

Try adding Kent to your google search when looking for spatial reasoning. Something comes up.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Ontarget!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I can see from the example that the type used is the same as the one in the familiarisation paper. We can do lots of these, however, we would benefit more from doing different types. Would different types be provided? Anyone purchased the package? It does seem quite expensive when comparing with other on-line services which charge around 5 per month. Of course, they could argue that the material is Kent specific, but how do they know if the types are not supposed to have been released? Also, a hotmail account does not inspire much confidence!
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

salsa wrote:I can see from the example that the type used is the same as the one in the familiarisation paper. We can do lots of these, however, we would benefit more from doing different types. Would different types be provided? Anyone purchased the package? It does seem quite expensive when comparing with other on-line services which charge around 5 per month. Of course, they could argue that the material is Kent specific, but how do they know if the types are not supposed to have been released? Also, a hotmail account does not inspire much confidence!
What package and where pls.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now