GL English Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kal12003

GL English Papers

Post by kal12003 »

Hi
Just wondered if anyone else's children are struggling with marks on the GL English papers. DD has been getting 75-87% on VR,NVR & Maths but she is only hitting below 60% on the English & am rather concerned!
I'm assuming 50-60% on English would not be enough to pass?
fatbananas

Re: GL English Papers

Post by fatbananas »

No-one really knows what constitutes a pass in English, as it's never been tested in Kent before. English results are always lower than maths ones (the drop in English GCSE passes is a recent example). If the pass for 11+ maths in recent years has been circa 56%, there's no reason to think that English won't be around this mark too; possibly lower. I think it sounds ok.

Can't wait for it all to be over. :roll: :?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will most definitely be glad when it's all over although will have the same again with my middle daughter next year!
I'd be happy to not see another reasoning paper for a long while!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My dd is not scoring as highly in the English papers either, falling down on the spelling and punctuation sections. I'm worried she might not pass just on this paper and I'm also now a bit stressed as I've spent so much time on the English I have now noticed the other subjects have dropped . There just aren't enough days left :(
dingding

Post by dingding »

Scarlett and kal12003- my DS had the same problem with these papers. Scores definitely lower than other subjects. He then went onto to do Athey and First Past the Post English, and he hasn't dropped a single mark on spelling and punctuation. He is fine on standard format, but m/c he found tricky.
He has found reading the question very very carefully and following the text more closely a great help.
Hang in there x
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks :) DD was pretty dodgy with the comprehension but has now improved. It's really silly mistakes with the spelling..I need to go over spelling patterns again, I think and then some of the punctuation. She seems to get a bit confused . Again, it's the problem of not enough time ! I'm hoping it's just feeling a bit fed up and that she will be ok on the day.
PurpleDog

Post by PurpleDog »

We're OK on English I think - the punctuation section seems to be the key so we have been working hard on those.

Its the spatial reasoning section which has been giving me nightmares and not much opportunity to practice that either!

At least this time in 2 weeks it will all be over!

:wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now