Pass marks for each subject

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Pass marks for each subject

Post by mystery »

Why have you discounted TWGSB so wholeheartedly? A close relative of mine and his friends all got stunning A level results and great university places pretty recently. There's an element still (but shrinking) who are lazy West Kent children but that wouldn't be your son would it?

I think the head can send you some more detailed statistics if you want them showing how children with different sub-levels on entry progress through to GCSE, and how children with different grades at GCSE progress through to A level. Looking at the data at the micro-level is more revealing than looking at the overall results. And of course, one has to taken into account that Judd and Skinners do still take away a lot of the top eleven-plus scorers from them - in this sense they are worse off than Weald as there are two other boys grammars close by taking away some of the potential top-end children.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

That's interesting, Mystery. Do all heads provide that info! Are they obliged to if you ask for it?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Probably not, for both questions. Parents of said child asked some broad general questions when considering where to sit A levels as, of course, A level grades at the more highly selective grammars look better. They were sent this level of detail as part of a very helpful response. It helped considerably in the decision to remain there at A level. It turned out to be the right decision.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Oh boo! That would be exactly the kind of info I'd like to see.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Worth asking - you might get it.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

I'm thinking that pass marks could be similar to previous years with a combined minimum score of 360, consisting of Maths, English and reasoning.
salsa

Post by salsa »

mystery wrote:Probably not, for both questions. Parents of said child asked some broad general questions when considering where to sit A levels as, of course, A level grades at the more highly selective grammars look better. They were sent this level of detail as part of a very helpful response. It helped considerably in the decision to remain there at A level. It turned out to be the right decision.
How about a Freedom of Information Request?
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

frangipani wrote:I'm thinking that pass marks could be similar to previous years with a combined minimum score of 360, consisting of Maths, English and reasoning.
I wonder...! I had read it that English and maths were one paper, verbal reasoning another and non verbal another... I would rather maths be on its own... I think!!!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Kcc wrote very clearly more than once that the first paper was a test of English and maths attainment and the second paper a test of reasoning ability. They later went on to define reasoning as verbal, non-verbal and spatial.

I am sure they will soon be starting to work out how to define the pass / fail boundary this year - once the Saturday test papers have been marked, that is.
Essex2Kent

Post by Essex2Kent »

mystery wrote:Why have you discounted TWGSB so wholeheartedly? A close relative of mine and his friends all got stunning A level results and great university places pretty recently. There's an element still (but shrinking) who are lazy West Kent children but that wouldn't be your son would it?

I think the head can send you some more detailed statistics if you want them showing how children with different sub-levels on entry progress through to GCSE, and how children with different grades at GCSE progress through to A level. Looking at the data at the micro-level is more revealing than looking at the overall results. And of course, one has to taken into account that Judd and Skinners do still take away a lot of the top eleven-plus scorers from them - in this sense they are worse off than Weald as there are two other boys grammars close by taking away some of the potential top-end children.
Sadly we have for a few reasons. Firstly my son didn't like it and I am big believer in letting them decide. Which was hard with my first two. But they both picked TGS over my choice (which I kept quiet!) and also I heard from a lot of Mum's last year that there was fighting day 1 in y7!

Wasn't overly impressed with the Head either. But as I say that just my view.