Fresh deal on Sevenoaks grammar expected soon

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Fresh deal on Sevenoaks grammar expected soon

Post by doodles »

Historically the gs issue for TN13 boys has been that TWGSB only covered the very top part of Sevenoaks itself and none of the villages past there, so it was judd and skinners or nothing. There was also no qualification for any of the non selectives so it was the SS GS or Wilderness.

Obviously the situation is slowly changing but the dc in the outlying villages still have a tough time even if they are clumped together as part of Sevenoaks.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Was there a qualified boy in Sevenoaks District last year who didn't get a grammar place by the start of year 7? Genuine question. Didn't see anyone worrying on here - I guess that's why I'm asking. But this site only represents a very small proportion of parents.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

I think in the end everyone got a place- but only because TWGSB took an extra class again, as did Judd & Skinners. As far as I am aware, Judd & Skinners anticipate taking an extra class each again from this cohort, but I would be VERY surprised if TWGSB can do this two years in a row. So it may not be as straight forward this year. It seems to get tighter year on year and without the 3 extra classes provided this year, it would have been impossible for Sevenoaks boys who did not get a SS score.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

mystery wrote:Was there a qualified boy in Sevenoaks District last year who didn't get a grammar place by the start of year 7? Genuine question. Didn't see anyone worrying on here - I guess that's why I'm asking. But this site only represents a very small proportion of parents.
I know for sure that this year TWB took boys from Knockolt, Kemsing and Westerham and Wok from Wrotham and Westerham also. And that's just the catchment Sevenoaks way am assuming the spread was equal in the other direction.

That was even before appeals.

I appreciate that schools have had to expand, but from my experience ( wok and Judd) and talking to teachers there it has been ok and the extra funding has benefited the school as a whole.

I see so much scaremongering for parents in the Sevenoaks area and it is often just not true. Also has it got worse ? really ? i remember the same conversations back in 2009 when my son was applying and in the end the worried outlining villages got places.

I struggle to see and have not been given (by Wok or anyone else) justification for the rushing of a secondary school in Sevenoaks as some would suggest and i live here and have another DD so should be a biased in favour ...

Also - talking to a Trinity parent. They have been told by their Head building completion definitely Sept 2015. But grammar building part was "not known" by the Head
mystery

Post by mystery »

Last day of WoK consultation on Monday. What's the general consensus now do you think? It's as exciting as the Scottish referendum.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Och aye the nooo.... :lol:

Not much word really. Certainly not the same level of feeling as when co-ed was suggested.

Governors letter last week gave the impression of "when" rather than "if" WOk extend into Sevenoaks.

Seems a done deal as far as they are concerned but still no mention of Boys school involvement. Definitely no consultation with Judd/Skinners or Twells to date.

It was the boys that needed help .. yes ? ... or was i dreaming :wink:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah, the letter is now viewable to all on their website.

Here it is:

http://upload.reactcdn.co.uk/wealdofken ... t-2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How does that work then? You could print out gazillions of them and flood them with a ayes or noes.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

That is bonkers .... what are they thinking p**s up in brewery springs to mind :?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well it certainly doesn't yet seem to meet the requirements in either of these two documents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ng-academy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, unless these documents are about to be rewritten or ignored for this particular application, we're a long way off from an application to the DfE that will pass muster.

Non comprendo.

And how was that e-petition from parents worded in the first place? There are people I know who have signed it who would be better off travelling to Tonbridge schools from their home addresses. They don't live in Sevenoaks Town. What information were they given when they signed it? I never heard of that petition at the time it was being put together.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now