Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:18 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Dover Test
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:41 pm 
Hi all

I'm new here. My son is taking his 11+ in January and wants to go to Dover Grammar School for Boys, so he will take the Dover Test as well. Does anyone know what this test actually consists of? Is it like the Kent Test? More boys seem to pass the Dover test than the Kent Test and people tell me it's easier.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:55 pm 

could you ask the school?

I was under the impression that pupils took the Kent test AND DGSB's test. The head in teh past has accepted pupils who fail teh Kent test but have passed the school's own tests I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:02 pm 
Hi yoyo

Thanks for your reply. You're right, you can get into DGSB having failed the 11+, if you pass the school's own (Dover) test. Just wondered what the Dover test was all about, but you're right, I will ring the school - doh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 pm 
My daughter is sitting the Dover grammar for Girls test. I have been told it is easier in some aspects and is more literacy based.
kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:39 am 
The Dover Test apparently contains NVR, VR and maths papers ( similar to those in the Kent Test) plus an English paper (comprehension, grammar and writing). The marks from all 4 papers are then added together so that it is the overall mark which counts. This means that, unlike with the Kent Test, a strong score in one paper can make up for a low score in another. About 30% of children at the schools using the Dover Test got in on the basis of that test. Others get in on HT or parental appeal, but the majority pass the Kent test.

Further details can be found on pages 18 and 19 of this document:
http://www.kent.gov.uk/committees/cabin ... -item8.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:16 am 

Anonymous wrote:
The Dover Test apparently contains NVR, VR and maths papers ( similar to those in the Kent Test) plus an English paper (comprehension, grammar and writing). The marks from all 4 papers are then added together so that it is the overall mark which counts. This means that, unlike with the Kent Test, a strong score in one paper can make up for a low score in another. About 30% of children at the schools using the Dover Test got in on the basis of that test. Others get in on HT or parental appeal, but the majority pass the Kent test.

Further details can be found on pages 18 and 19 of this document:
http://www.kent.gov.uk/committees/cabin ... -item8.pdf

Thanks, that's really intersting.