Thoughts now it is all over (well nearly)!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
happydad35

Re: Thoughts now it is all over (well nearly)!

Post by happydad35 »

No Choice - I don't think so. Even if you do not wish to send children to a faith school, there exists plenty of choice:
SKA, Mascalls, Hugh Christie, Knole Academy are all schools who achieve fantastic value added scores and achieve high grades. One could say that the standard of teaching in these schools is better. I think parents in T Wells have a great deal of good choice.
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

I'm feeling rather despondent here in Dartford. With my daughter missing the last 11 Maths questions (and not even given time to guess) I'm afraid she's not passed.

Our next best option is the Leigh Academy, but we're way down on their list - they're now giving preference to children from York Road school, which is now one of their primary academies. This wasn't in place when we chose primary schools, so it seems unfair to me.

Other than that, we're looking at our local secondary which has a bad reputation. A shame for someone who's been in the top of her class all the way thorugh.
Carpediem247

Post by Carpediem247 »

It is really not right that it all comes down to one day. I think the headteachers are going to be busy over the next couple of weeks. I thought my DD would pass (by how much I don't know) but now I am not sure.
sunnysue

Post by sunnysue »

MJMoore don't worry.... So many stories of bright kids missing out lots of questions on the maths paper. If your child has been top of the class then they will fly through their headteachers appeal this week. I found out today that in the top maths set (top 20% of year) at my DD's school, a quarter of the kids were up for a headteachers appeal ! Given that the top 25% are meant to be eligible for grammar school, it is surprising that ANY of the kids in her top maths set are up for appeal. Just goes to show how tough the maths paper was this year. But if bright kids have done level 5 work in their yr5 maths books they should have nothing to worry about.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Hmmm ... That hasn't made me feel any better :(
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
sunnysue

Post by sunnysue »

This is a great state school where last year over 50% got into grammar school.... Am saying that IMO there will probably be way more headteachers appeals over maths ability this year but ultimately Kent grammar schools need to have bums on seats so there's still got to be the same number of kids passing.
Mumof2boyskent

Post by Mumof2boyskent »

sunnysue wrote:MJMoore don't worry.... So many stories of bright kids missing out lots of questions on the maths paper. If your child has been top of the class then they will fly through their headteachers appeal this week. I found out today that in the top maths set (top 20% of year) at my DD's school, a quarter of the kids were up for a headteachers appeal ! Given that the top 25% are meant to be eligible for grammar school, it is surprising that ANY of the kids in her top maths set are up for appeal. Just goes to show how tough the maths paper was this year. But if bright kids have done level 5 work in their yr5 maths books they should have nothing to worry about.
Blimey, I wonder if this is the same across the majority of schools, we had a book recall so would imagine there are appeals at DS's school, most takers in top maths group too!
MJMoore

Post by MJMoore »

No books have been taken at our school, so I've now given up hope. I'm now focusing on which local school has the best to offer her.
kal12003

Post by kal12003 »

MJMoore wrote:No books have been taken at our school, so I've now given up hope. I'm now focusing on which local school has the best to offer her.
It may be they children passed without the need for a headteacher appeal or the books (or appropriate levels of work) were taken behind the scenes so to speak. I feel it's not going to be good news in our household on 15th, just a gut feeling.
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

No books have been taken here either, which is quite worrying because they usually take everyone's. Maybe they are only using the year 5 books...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now