There has to be a better way

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
PurpleDog

There has to be a better way

Post by PurpleDog »

Having just dropped my daughter off at TWGGS, I defy anyone to tell me that OOC kids somehow have an advantage.

I left in tears and don't think they could have made the process more stressful for her if they had tried!

There was no friendly welcome or reassurance, just instructions and herding of the kids like cattle.

I could feel her anxiety from the minute we walked in and I only hope that once they got to the classroom, the atmosphere was a little calmer and more friendly!

Any child who can perform their best under those conditions must be made of pretty stern stuff.
Carpediem247

Re: There has to be a better way

Post by Carpediem247 »

I agree, there has to be a better way.
mum1808

Post by mum1808 »

Just dropped mine at WGS and totally agree with you... Very long queues... Unfamiliar place and I could clearly see this on her face... All she said was that she was happy that the next one (bexley) was in her own school... I left in tears too
gravesendgal

Post by gravesendgal »

I was in Dartford earlier and really felt for all the kids put and about that were on their way to sit the tests! Good luck everyone
MerlinFromCamelot

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

We were at WGS as well this morning. I had been there a few years ago with DD1 so more or less knew what to expect. Have to say it was the same chaos this morning as it was a few years ago. DD also said that most of the staff were very unfriendly and patronising. Guess the staff really did not want to be there. It did not really effect DD but she said some girls looked tearful. Not a great mindset to go in to the test imo..
salsa

Post by salsa »

My son took it last year and we had a different experience. They were all welcoming at Gravesend. The good thing was that they had the mock a week before, so when we went the next week we all knew what to do. One big disadvantage was that the OOC children did their test all on one day and the Kent children did them on two days.
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

DS took the Mayfield entrance exam yesterday. Got to say that the Headmistress was very welcoming to the kids at the door and all the girls dissapeared happily into the building. It may have helped as they had already taken the 11 plus on Wednesday.

Have OOC been effected by the news that the Maths test was difficult, and had started to worry or doubt their abilities? Did they pick up on the parents anxieties?
salsa

Post by salsa »

We were having this conversation last year, about Maths. Someone estimated a percentage of difficulty and was spot on! In the end all the required scores were lower than in 2012. Even the superselectives required a lower score. There were 50 Maths questions to be completed in 60 minutes last year. You may say it was better, however, it was more tiring and required more concentration and a longer attention span. The Maths paper was the decider last year and according to an analysis, "on-the-site-that-cannot-be-named" it has always been!
However, they are all on the same boat.
When can we talk about the number of questions?
dingding

Post by dingding »

My DS sat in a school in Ashford. We are about a mile away from the Kent border, yet had to travel 50 miles away!

There were approx 275 children sitting. Most of the children were there when we arrived at 8:15am. The test was due to start at 9am, but was delayed considerably, not sure why.
Parents were suppose to collect children at 12:45, but the children were allowed to leave finally at 1:30pm, 45 minutes later than expected.
My son told me the break between papers was rushed, he didn't think he got more than a few minutes. He was very, very tired by the ordeal and extremely hungry.
With regards to the maths paper, he like many children did run out of time and had to guess the last few. Glad it's all over.
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Just like the Scottish referendum. If you do not live in Scotland you doing get a vote. If you dont live in Kent. Dont take the test.